cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

11/22/63

Where were you at 12:30 pm cst on 11/22/1963?

I was only six. I remember my mother being scared and very upset. We went to the neighbor's house to watch TV because we didn't have one. It's hard to remember anything that happened at that age, but that day is etched in my memory. I know some of you weren't born yet and do not know the feeling of this being a life experience. I hope none of us ever know again.

13 Replies
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: 11/22/63

This is not a chastisement- we've all played at that game- but I tend not to like it.

One of the ways that false narratives are embedded into the public consciousness is by emphasizing the shock and personal aspect of the event.

It is just sort of a parlor game now for anyone who cares to speculate about (or smugly "debunk") what actually occurred. But suffice it to say that whatever it was, it did not closely resemble the story the Warren Commission came up with.

BTW, does anyone recall when Mr. Not Deep State promised to declassify a lot of that stuff- which was due to be unsealed anyway. It got re-buried.

bruce MN
Advisor

Maybe been told before but here goes....

2nd row from the front in the middle of 3 rows in Freshman English class, 1st hr in the afternoon after liunch break.

Our young male teacher opened by telling us that “someone had shot at The President.

The young woman sitting directly behind me clapped her hands a couple of times and said “Oh! Goody!!”

She was the daughter of our 9-12 Social Studies teacher. A full blooded German family, WELS members, deeply anti-Catholic and anti-Semitic. Wore it on his sleeve. John Birch Society member. Not long after class moved ahead Walter Cronkite came over the intercom and told us that President Kennedy had died. My most vivid memory of the incident was her with her head in her arms on her desk, sobbing uncontrollably. She was and remains a good friend. Kudos to the rest of my classmates over 57 years. No one has ever spoken a word about it to each other that I know of.

But by the time 3 1/2 more years had gone by we all got to hear her Father declare, within the confines of an American Public schoolhouse as the Johnson Administration proceeded and most particularly during the time of the 1964 election, even though he had served in WW2, that “we fought  on the wrong side in the War.”.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

You of course do not have to play or even consider it. Move on. He did get shot and die, regardless of anything else, it was a dark day in history, and many people feel that way.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: I was in the fourth grade and I still remember...

I was in the fourth grade then and the public address system speaker was in finished wooden box mounted on the wall above the teacher's desk at the front of the room.  Normally, announcements were made first thing in the morning and then again just after lunch with an occasional "so & so come to the office, etc" except in the winter when we might get sent home early due to a storm so we weren't expecting any announcements when it came.  First, it was "the President had been shot" then "the President was dead"

Funny how it is, I can't remember the exact words but I can remember looking up at that wooden speaker box as they were said.

Kurt#1
Senior Contributor

I remember and there was considerable concern that the USSR was behind murder and we were about to be attacked.

bruce MN
Advisor

Nah! There got to be a lot of speculation about who was behind it once Oswald got shot. And then it exploded as the Warren Commission was meeting to compile it’s Report. 

But the good folk MAGA predecessors in our community would gather at the pool hall and the feed mill and the one conclusion that you could come away with from those discussions was that “it couldn’t have been the communists because the minnow munching, xxxxx loving son of a batch was one of ‘em”. 

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Nothing definitive to me or anyone else but a retired Maine Gunny who taught marksmanship at LaJuene told me that he and some buddies got ahold of that Mannlicher model and fooled around a little on the range.

Said no way, and those guys really knew guns.

One of those curious things that gets spun into the news and then becomes truth was that Oswald had been a great marksman. Actually had the lowest qualification.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Got to admit, the quality of conspiracy theories has declined precipitously in recent years.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

A few years ago I was at a conference in Dallas and everyone had gone out to a bar afterwards.

I wasn't interested in drinking any more so left by myself and walked back to the hotel. Stopped in a place, looked around and realized I was standing on the Grassy Knoll across the street from Dealey Plaza.

BTW, I was home from school sick that day-must have put on a good show because we had to be at death's door. My Dad was home for "dinner" (vs. supper) and I was watching the noon cartoons when they broke in so I went in to tell him. He ran into the den to see. I asked if they'd be going back to the cartoons soon and he gave me that look that meant you'd better shut up now.