Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

$15/hr minimum wage

Say hello to your replacement.

snip-

A CEO of a fast-food company is causing a stir on social media after claiming that he wants to create a fully automated restaurant.

“We could have a restaurant that’s focused on all-natural products and is much like an Eatsa, where you order on a kiosk, you pay with a credit or debit card, your order pops up, and you never see a person,” Carl’s Jr. CEO Andy Puzder told Business Insider.

Puzder says the automated restaurant would be cheaper since he wouldn’t have to worry about rising minimum wage.

“If you’re making labor more expensive, and automation less expensive- this is not rocket science,” ...

“They’re always polite, they always upsell, they never take a vacation, they never show up late, there’s never a slip-and-fall, or an age, sex, or race discrimination case,” says Puzder of swapping employees for machines. “Millennials like not seeing people. I’ve been inside restaurants where we’ve installed ordering kiosks… and I’ve actually seen young people waiting in line to use the kiosk where there’s a person standing behind the counter, waiting on nobody.”

http://kfor.com/2016/03/17/carls-jr-ceo-wants-to-try-automated-restaurant-where-customers-never-see-...

17 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: $15/hr minimum wage

Smiley Very Happy   This is why I tell these liberals to go ahead and put in a $15 minimum wage if it makes them feel better, that this point things are so far gone it won`t really make a difference.  And this goes with the dirty jobs of working at pig disassembly plants and weeding beets and picking tomatoes..how long before machines do the "work that Americans won`t do"?   Then what are we gonna do with all them Mexicans?  ..put `em on welfare????

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

a fully automated society is fraught with dangers of social turmoil and the loss of liberty for all of us. I might laugh at the Amish with their simple ways and black clothing (BA, were you at Gilberts Sale Yard last Monday? Must have been 100 derby hatted Amish or Mennonites milling around there...one young rebel had on a hat that was dark brown instead of black), but they probably recognize where automation takes us better than our politicians.

If jobs keep disappearing, how long before a Bernie Sanders succeeds in the takeover of private property? We are only an election or two away from losing most of what we have worked for...a Sanderclaus is going to eventually win enough votes to confiscate private property if the present trends continue.

I tell my family to appreciate what we have and to try to appreciate what will remain if the material things are taken away, like in the Communist countries. Thats about the only thing we can hang on to for sure. There are always going to be the Fidel Castros, the Pol Pots, the Vlamir Lenins, the Adolf Hitlers, Stalins, Bernie Sanders types.

There was a picture in the Sunday Minneapolis Tribune accompanying an article about how unions are taking a haircut on their pensions, and some retirees are going to need to go back to work as their pensions are bankrupt and they are being offered 50 cents on the dollar to keep the funds solvent. The picture had the people holding signs and everyone of them probably weighed in at 300 lbs or more. So maybe retirement is not the best thing anyways for one's health.

But if that keeps on and spreads to more pension plans, its just one more group of potential Bernie Sanders/Adolf Hitler types of discontents. Trump feeds on that discontent, too, and he is a worrisome person, as we don't know how he would abuse power if it is granted to him. I don't trust the man...he does not seem to possess good moral character. I really hope the republicans do "steal" the nomination from him and run either Ted Cruz or Kasich, or both.

northnd
Senior Contributor

IMHO

1.  We need jobs, period.  Raising minimum wage beyond the threshold causing compainies to further automate, EPA and other rogue government agencies (eliminating coal, WOTUS, etc) overegulating, and overregulating companies and allowing them to move operations and/or funds out of country will be our deathknell.  Well it is already happening so will just exacerbate the situation.

2.  GOP would rather have Hillary than Trump or Ted Cruz for that matter.

3.  Kasich is a drip.  Would be no different than G. W. Bush.  Why is he even still the race when it is mathmatically impossible for him to win?  I think the reason's are clear.  He wants a brokered convention and the nomination.  The GOP should just hand the presidency to Hillary because that would ensure this outcome.  Which they probably want anyway.

4.  I don't support Trump but there is NO way he could abuse power, be more self serving, have less moral character than what we currently have.  I could add sooo much more negitive content to our current presidential situation but will refrain.

5.  Maybe we need to crash this thing, so we can start over.  Hillary, Bernie and to a lesser extent Trump are capable of it.  Ted Cruz is the only one I can foresee that has a snowballs chance in you know where to turn things around.  At this point he is the least likely of all candidates to get the chance.

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

Smiley Very Happy   This is why I tell these liberals to go ahead and put in a $15 minimum wage if it makes them feel better, that this point things are so far gone it won`t really make a difference.  And this goes with the dirty jobs of working at pig disassembly plants and weeding beets and picking tomatoes..how long before machines do the "work that Americans won`t do"?   Then what are we gonna do with all them  FARMERS ?  ..put `em on MORE  welfare????

Smiley Very Happy

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Sounds like a great plan.  Invest!  You could probably quit whatever you're doing now in a few years and live off your investment!

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Sounds like the repub plan is working!

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

We will have "too many" farmers too one day if things keep going the way they`re going technology wise.   Robots milk cows, one guy fell asleep in his tractor and he awoke 4 hrs later and the field was chisel plowed and his tractor parked safely at the edge of the field.  How long before humans are only needed to move the machinery from field to field and one guy could monitor with a Go-Pro and drones as to the progress?

We could get by with maybe 1/4th of the farmers and these could all happen in the next 10-15 yrs or less.  The average age of farmers is about 60, so through attrition 15 yrs from now things could look alot different.  There is a coop i`ve heard of where you can deliver grain 24/7 and not a human being there, it weighs you in and out and adjusts the dumping speed and is monitored.   We aren`t too far off from driverless semi trucks.  A whole industry will be turned over on it`s ear.  Self driving semis never get tired, the don`t need healthcare or a wage or pay taxes.

Things are changing much like John Henry and the steam powered jack hammer.  And it`s like a worldwide game of musical chairs where you`d better have a place to sit when the music stops.

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

I don't disagree.

But when the music stops, it won't matter.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

And you would rather do that than see the labor force get a pay raise? How many of those robots are fgonna buy groceries, food or fiber from the american farmer. Why are you so against your customers that you would prefer to see them banklrupt?