cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

1958. Before Diebold, before Ken Blackwell, before.....

5 Replies
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Re: 1958. Before Diebold, before Ken Blackwell, before.....

Because Mrs. Thatcher was moderately successful in trying to get her nation to embrace work rather than welfare as a way of life for Great Britain, she earned the hatred and scorn of much of her nation, some of them families that had been on welfare for generations, that were especially hateful of her and her policies.

Really did not think that you were going to join the chorus, Bruce. Sing a few more bars of Ding Dong, the Wicked Witch is Dead and feel good about it.

bruce MN
Advisor

I wasn't ripping The Iron Lady. 

I certainly wasn't enthraled with her  and the political spectrum she represented while she was in office as PM, but have never been one to think that the Brits ever get any less than they collectively bargain for. And they elevated her to that post.  Their system of Parlimentary government and elections is much more efficient at finding actual reflections of the majority public will than ours ever was or ever will be.  They don't have anything in their system anywhere nearly as absurd and technically anti-democratic as the way our Senate is put together and administered.

I just simly happened to run across this article and thought about there being "nothing new under the Sun".  Whaever you read or thought into that was up to you.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

I wasn't ripping The Iron Lady. 

I certainly wasn't enthraled with her  and the political spectrum she represented while she was in office as PM, but have never been one to think that the Brits ever get any less than they collectively bargain for. And they elevated her to that post.  Their system of Parlimentary government and elections is much more efficient at finding actual reflections of the majority public will than ours ever was or ever will be.  They don't have anything in their system anywhere nearly as absurd and technically anti-democratic as the way our Senate is put together and administered.

I just simly happened to run across this article and thought about there being "nothing new under the Sun".  Whaever you read or thought into that was up to you.

You mean the way our senate is put together to protect the minority from having their pockets picked by the majority.

Samnospam
Advisor

And to protect the power of the state governments/restrain the power of the federal. Really screwed the pooch on that one.
wehav
Senior Contributor

Bruce, your problem is one of confusion.  We aren't a democracy.  We are a Republic. 

A democracy is a form of government that only lasts a very short time because as soon as the lazy and crooked realize they can live off the works of others they vote themselves a living.