cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

1st Amendment

Courts have repeatedly and universally ruled that web platforms have the 1st Amendment right to decide what they will and won't publish.

What we're really talking about here is if the 2nd Amendment can force them to.

11 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: 1st Amendment

I thought Twitter and Facebook didn`t want to be considered a "publisher" ?  

https://psmag.com/social-justice/what-if-we-treated-facebook-like-a-publisher

Senior Advisor

You have a 1st amendment right unless you bake cakes or pay for health insurance. Then not so much.

Senior Advisor

Well, granted you can't have a second entrance in back for the colored.

Next thing you'd know they'd want to vote.

Senior Advisor

Hypocrat.

Honored Advisor

The right to riot shall not be infringed, so long as you destroy statues of guys like this.

All Men Are Created Equal,” Really?

Veteran Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:

The right to riot shall not be infringed, so long as you destroy statues of guys like this.

All Men Are Created Equal,” Really?

All men are created equal - as long as they are WHITE, and MEN, is that what you’re really wanting to say BA?

ETTD

Jen

Senior Contributor

Here is an article that discusses this topic.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-twitters-ban-of-donald-trump-isnt-a-free-speech-cris...

The same applies to much of what appears on Parler. It is not conservatism that has been thus targeted. We are not talking about robust debates over tax policy here, but people plotting assassinations, violent revolution and race war.

There will be many who are unsympathetic to Mr. Trump or the far right who will nonetheless be uneasy at the sight of a few large corporations deciding who is and is not permitted to use their platforms – and therefore gain access to the public square. It was Mr. Trump this time, but who’s to say it will not be another, less objectionable figure the next?

I do not see that there is an alternative. The fever swamp of the internet has become the breeding ground of monsters; if Big Tech does not step in, the state will. I have some confidence the tech companies can figure out how to screen out the truly vile stuff without undue harm to the free play of ideas. I have no confidence the government can.

Honored Advisor

Twitter needs a "Ishmael"  Smiley Happy   But Twitter bans people that simply post "stop the steal".  It seems to me that common sense should`ve been in order.  If Twitter would allow a venting place with some guard rails, it would be much more productive than what i fear with fill the void.

Senior Contributor

What 'void' BA?

Twitter works quite well for me because I do not follow people who only tweet lies.

I ditch those who lie but it seems Twitter has do that for some who are not able to distinguish the difference between reality and lies put out there by some.