cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

75th anniversary of Animal Farm

Given that self-awareness isn't a real strong point among The Base, I'm still surprised that they don't recognize some of the present moment in it.

It is an allegory about how the utopian dreams and slogans of the Trotskyites gave way to the tyrant Stalin.

4 Replies
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: 75th anniversary of Animal Farm

The funny thing is that most of The Base thinks they are exceptional and have nothing in common with a bunch of dumb Bolshevik peasant *****kickers.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Radio was discussing that anniversary yesterday and talking about the US money that bought into that book or movie rights and tweaked the ending from original to use in massaging the public perception of the world.

The program was looking at how movies and entertainment was used to get public support for wars and government policies.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

If you guys were fur bearing animals, you`d be far too easy to trap.  

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Nobody wanted to publish it when Uncle Joe was an ally but they grabbed on quick when the politics shifted.

Even though Orwell was a committed lifetime leftist, he was among the group of authors that MI5 and the CIA thought were helpful to the cause.

1984 too. but that was back in the day when you could pretend that totalitarianism could only exist under communism.

I've recommended "Churchill Orwell: The Fight for Freedom" by Tom Ricks.

I'll also throw in a plug for a novel about the MI5 stuff- "Sweet Tooth" by Ian McEwen