cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

800,000 in New Jersey lose their health insurance

If you like your plan you can keep it and it will cost $2,500 less said President Barack Obama.

snip-

Hundreds of thousands of New Jerseyans opened the mail last week to find their health insurance plan would no longer exist in 2014 because it does not cover all the essential benefits required by the Affordable Care Act.

The news surprised some who were unaware that provisions in the new law known as “Obamacare” were forcing insurance companies to scrap some plans they had previously offered.

“The Affordable Care Act is driving many changes to products and pricing,” said Thomas Vincz, a spokesman for Horizon. “Horizon BCBSNJ is actively working to help our members find new insurance plans that meet their needs and budget.”

The changes will impact more than 800,000 people in New Jersey who purchase insurance on the individual and small-employer markets, according to Ward Sanders, president of the New Jersey Association of Health Plans.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/10/obamacare_forces_insurance_companies_to_scrap_some_plans_cr...

38 Replies
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: 800,000 in New Jersey lose their health insurance

And they will have better coverage because of it.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

And they will have better coverage because of it.

Of course. Almighty government knows what is best for them, they are too stupid to figure it out for themselves.

WCMO
Senior Advisor

My own health insurance is grandfathered in, but the premium recently increased 35% because they added the extra "wellness" program benefits under Obamacare, like the checkup frequency, and normal testing things that I used to pay for out of my pocket, which is as it should be (shouldn't need insurance to pay "normal" costs", just the big stuff).  The thinking that insurance should pay for everything is where much of the problem lies.  I've had a $5000 deductible for many years, and so far haven't had any medical costs that exceeded the deductible, but still my insurance premiums jump up.  That sucks.

Also, think I read somewhere that if my income is low enough to qualify for a tax credit or subsidy under Obamacare, I can only qualify for it if I sign up for a new policy in the "marketplace", not if I keep my existing policy.  So, if I like my policy, I can keep it, but I don't qualify for the credit (even if my income would qualify) unless I give up my policy for a new one sold within the new "marketplace". 

The more I learn about Obamacare, the less I like it, and I didn't like it to begin with.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

If enough of you disapprove maybe you will go for single payer the lowest cost option. Say hay, you didn't want the government option and now you have private insurers gouging you just like they did before.

They never miss an opportunity to rape and pillage their policy holders. Obama and Co had no other option that the subsidized insurance option. You folks never would have let it get off the ground. Now you get to live with it because naive Barack Obama thought these corporate insurance companies gave a **bleep** about anything other than their bottom line.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Most of the ACA has nothing to do with the govt other than the govt put the exchanges together with the insurance companies selling insurance. Of course, some of it is going to be like Medicare/Medicaid for some people but will buy whatever insurance they want, and can afford with or without govt subsidy. You really are too stupid by about 100!
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Why would you pay premiums and never get to use it and pay all your medical bills? I don't get it. What are your premiums? $1000/mo?
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Premium's less than 1/3 of that.  Also have a decreasing deductible -- the longer without using the deductible, the lower the deductible becomes.  Still never used the deductible, so with a $5000 deductible policy, it's really a $500 deductible (which is the minimum). 

I buy health insurance with a large deductible for catastrophic events.  Much like I buy car insurance, home insurance, etc., and would like to think I will never collect anything, yet if a significant catastrophy strikes, it won't break the bank.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Leave aside all the hatred filled sprays from 3020, obamacare is here to stay and he will be forced to participate and then grow to like it. He is a political hypocrite.
r3020
Senior Advisor

@kraft-t wrote:

If enough of you disapprove maybe you will go for single payer the lowest cost option. Say hay, you didn't want the government option and now you have private insurers gouging you just like they did before.

They never miss an opportunity to rape and pillage their policy holders. Obama and Co had no other option that the subsidized insurance option. You folks never would have let it get off the ground. Now you get to live with it because naive Barack Obama thought these corporate insurance companies gave a **bleep** about anything other than their bottom line.

The Almighty Federal Government just spent 634 million dollars on healthcare and all we have to show for it is a failed computer system.