cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: 800,000 in New Jersey lose their health insurance

You should get a little firmer grip on reality if you can't see that the repub politicians don't use everything they think they can get by with!
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

I can have a lot of checkups, for $4000

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

I belive I have quite a firm grip on reality.  

You might want to re-read what I highlighted.

As for politicians trying everything they think they can get away with, that happens on both sides.

One can make a very strong argument, that Obamacare might not have passed Congress, without voter fraud getting Franken elected, or without rushing the vote before a duly-elected member of Congress could be sworn in, or without the broken promises of special treatment for Ben Nelson's constituents.   You don't consider any of those things as trying what 'they think they can get by with'?

I'm not saying the GOP is clean, but rather both sides in Congress does pretty much the same thing.

If you really want to know the big reason for the support of Obamacare, google for polls asking Americans, how many Obamacare supporters thought it was supposed to be free.   I think as the realization that it is not starts to sink in, support will wane.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Yep IF that is all you have to pay. I don't know your gross income but 0.015% of your gross per year could get kinda expensive and it increases up to 0.025% by 2016. Also, that huge premium is for individual coverage. Did you explore the GROUP insurance policies?
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

OH OK that is the ONLY thing I messed up on. You DON'T chastise them for playing less than fair!
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

If the Dr. finds anything suspicios, tests the Dr. orders, are covered.

Remember, my current policy has a maximum co-pay about 1/3 of what Obamacare covers, so if they DO find something major wrong, it would cost me more out of pocket, for that 'better' insurance, along with the higher premiums.  However, assuming the Keiser Obamacare premium estimater is accurate, I would qualify for a subsidy, making the Obamacare premiums just a little cheaper out of pocket.

However, I personally, would rather have the $8K+ less maximum co-pay if I do have a major illness, than a 'free' annual physical.

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Ummmmm, yes I did, several times.  Check the archives, or ask around.   I belive I clearly said that Congress should man up, the law was duly passed, tested in the Supreme Court, and found to be Constitutional, and should be followed.

I think either you have me confused with someone else, or haven't been paying too close attention.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Again, not knowing how large your family nor how income you make, this explains it some what. This is from "Consumer Reports".

Individual subsidies. Afraid you won’t be able to afford insurance? If you buy on your state's marketplace as an individual, you may qualify for a subsidy if your household income is between 100 percent and 400 percent of the federal poverty level. The subsidy will be a new kind of tax credit that you can use right away to lower your premium costs. (The tax system already subsidizes people who have coverage through a job by excluding the cost of their health plan from income taxes.)

For instance, a family of four with an income of 200 percent of poverty, or about $46,000, will pay no more than $235 a month for health insurance. People with household incomes of less than 250 percent of poverty will also get subsidies to reduce their out-of-pocket costs, such as deductibles and coinsurance. You’ll learn whether you qualify for a subsidy when you shop on your marketplace, and if you do, the amount you have coming to you.
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

confused here on why I saw something completely different.  Our policy is one that is not going to be offered next year because it didn't meet new requirements.  So I checked into the policy they recommended.  It wasn't something we were interested in.  So then I checked into what they call their 2014 policies.  Found they were presented by the insurance company on their site exactly the same way the government site is presenting policies.  With the little medallions to indicate level of coverage.

So found an offering on insurance site that we could live with that was basically the same premium and coverage we had in the policy they are discontinuing.

Then for jollies I decided to see what the government site was offering.  Guess what same basic deductible and copay but much much less for the premium.  Now I haven't taken the time to compare the entire packages  but on a kind of quick look much cheaper through the exchange.

Some one said insurance companies weren't offering subsidies if you are buying directly from them.  Well I saw questions and subsidy calculator on the insurance company site.

This is all on individual plans.  My husband and I think the information that has generally been given to the public is much less clear on if you have/had employer provided or some other kind of group insurance.

I read a story about a situation where several small businesses had grouped to get the better rate on group insurance and it was unclear whether they would still be able to do that.

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

My understanding, is that you can only get premium assistance (subsidy) through the exchange.

I posted a link to the Keiser website, that claims to have a fairly accurate depiction of the rates under Obamacare, for at least the Bronze and Silver plan, along with the subsidies, and the out of pocket costs.

I ran my numbers through a while back, and found that the 'cost' of the insurance was higher (for something similar to what I have now) but after the subsidy, it was cheaper by a little bit.

If I remember right, the insurance that had similar coverage (but a higher deductable) had, in round numbers, about a $2,000 higher 'cost of premium', but was about $1000 cheaper per year after the subsidy.   I looked at other plans, and found that to get the deductable and co-pay to be equal, I was spending more, but had more coverage, but some of that coverage was for things I would never buy in a policy of my own.   However, running my numbers, it seemed that I qualified for a subsidy between $2000 and $3000, depending on the plan.

Maybe that is what Obama meant, when the average family would save $2500.   Maybe not so much that they would pay that much less than they were before, but rather they would qualify for a $2500 subsidy.  While Obamacare will get some people to get coverage that they otherwise would not, I still argue that it does not actally 'cut costs', so much as disguises them, or shifts them to someone else.

I tried punching in my family for the plan that was as close to what we have now in terms of deductable and co-pay, and raised our income levels, and someone with a family the same ages as mine, with a higher income level, would pay half again more, for the same plan.