cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Re: 800,000 in New Jersey lose their health insurance

I went back to the Keiser website, and they have done an update on it (I posted a link on another thread, if you want to see exactly what it looks like, I will repeat the link here):

http://kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/

Anyway, until this last time I looked into it, they did not calculate any kind of subsidy for the deductable/co-pay.

It appears that they now do.   I was unaware of how much of a subsidy one may get on the co-pay, and running my numbers through the first time, the maximum co-pay under Obamacare was (in round numbers) about $8000 more than my current policy.

However, since they now compute the deductable subsidy, I re-ran my numbers through, and find that after the subsidy, my maximum co-pay is only a couple hundred dollars more under Obamacare, and the premiums are just a bit cheaper (after the subsidy, as well) putting it about on-par with what I have now (and I spent a lot of time digging around, to find the policy we had, as the best mix of coverage, cost, and deductable/co-pay.

So, for me at least, Obamacre most likely would save me some out of pocket costs, at least on the surface.   However, the difference has to be made up somewhere, and I have yet to see exactly where that other money will come from.

dairy mom
Senior Contributor

question.  Don't you think you might get more accurate information by going to the real websites that our going to be handling these programs rather than a "foundation" that offer speculative statistics and speculative information.

Just took a quick look at Kaiser so if I am wrong about them and they are actually an insurance provider I apologize.

I think much of the discord and acrimony has been coming from people spreading speculation rather than actual information.

I have been hearing "horror" stories of how much it has cost people which can not be true because I don't think anyone has made a claim with new insurance affected by the AHA.  Again if I am wrong I apologize.

You have to remember that numbers are incredible things and you can make them say just about anything you want them to.

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

The Keiser site had their estimates up, based on their reading of the law, before the acual Obamacare websites were online.   I noiced that since they came online, Keiser has updated their site, and it is reflected in different prices, co-pays, and subsidies.   I do not know exactly how accurate they are, but the claim has been they are the most accurate one, that lets you play around with coverages to get prices, and do it anonymously.

I tried logging into an Obamacare site, and it was down (Nebraska does not have their own site, they use the Federal exchange).

However, with all the glitches that have been bothering the Obamacare site, I do not feel like logging onto it, because to get a quote, they require things like my full legal name, SS number, etc.   I refuse to give out that info to a website that is full of bugs.

My current insurance lasts until next summer, I plan to wait until at least mid-spring before I worry much about it.  By then, traffic will be less, and hopefully the bugs will be out of it.

I do give the Keiser site credit, though.   As more detailed info becomes available, they are updating their numbers to reflect it.

My initial quotes from Obamacare, were 'nightmarish' to say the least.

My recent quotes, show a potential for at least modest savings for my out of pocket costs.

dairy mom
Senior Contributor

I have been on the Federal site several times with absolutely no problems. Have not attempted to log in and make an acct. but had no trouble getting basic information. I found it very simple and easy to use.

I have had more trouble getting onto, logged in and getting useable information from BCBS (our carrier) on their site.  Their site is quite confusing.

Even  though they are discontinuing our policy we have until the first of next year I think so am not concerned right now.

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

I could read the basic info they had posted, but could not get any kind of quote on prices from there.

Did you try to get a quote, or just read up on it?

When I tried to get a quote, it said site not available.

dairy mom
Senior Contributor

no I didn't try to get a quote.  Doubt they'll give one without an account and don't want to do that right now.

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

That was what I gathered, from what I read.  That's why I used the Keiser link.   They are 'supposed' to be the most accurate calculator, outside of the actual exchanges, for the policy, and they do what I consider a good service by listing not only your premiums, but your subsidy, as well, so you can see what the actual cost of coverage is, or at least their best estimation of it.

dairy mom
Senior Contributor

I don't worry about the subsidy because there is no way we will qualify.

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Well, then Congratulations!

My family qualifies for a pretty good one, but we aren't all that high up on the income level, I guess.

If you have dependant children, you can make something like $80K before the subsidy goes away completely, if memory serves right.