cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnaa
Advisor

89 tons of deadly radioactive fuel could reach US soon

snip-->Now fresh plumes of steam have been seen coming out the structure. These have now been confirmed by the plant’s owner TEPCO, from 19th December onwards. The company believes the steam is coming from the fifth floor of the building.

Summaries from experts conclude that this may “be the beginning of a ‘spent fuel pool criticality (meltdown)’ involving up to 89 tons of nuclear fuel burning up into the atmosphere and heading to North America.

TRN is warning of preparatory measures that should be taken by those living on the West Coast of America because, after “releasing 89 tons of deadly radioactive fuel directly into the air”, it would be a matter or 2 to 3 days before the deadly material would fry North America “by [the] levels of airborne radiation and ‘hot particles’ which could kill”.

snip--TEPCO has admitted that “they do not know why this steam is being generated, but matter-of-factly revealed today (December 28) the steam was first spotted on December 19 for a short period of time, then again on December 24 and again on December 25″.

The general held belief is that “pellets of radioactive fuel, ejected when the reactor exploded, went into the spent fuel pool above the reactor and have begun melting down so seriously they are boiling off the water in the spent fuel pool”.

Should this be the case “the situation could escalate rapidly out of control”.

10 Replies
425Cat
Advisor

Re: 89 tons of deadly radioactive fuel could reach US soon

Where can we get up to date info on the situation
johnaa
Advisor

bruce MN
Advisor

There is a bit more info here..  But mostly the same without quite the degree of alarm.  Wouldn't be cool if the worst casers were right.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/01/fukushima-radiation-a-serious-threat-to-north-american-coast/

This whole thing has been relagated to teh back pages in the U.S. mainstream press.  Unless someone gets real sick and dies.  What the corps and the mob are doing with the workers is deplorable, but then there are many here in this contry who would favor drafting of the indigent to do the dirty work. 

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Why would only the west coast be affected?
425Cat
Advisor

Schnurrbart,

Are you on the west coast or close? I cant find much in the US press on this. Found some stuff in the foreign press. Sounds like this is big deal and could get much worse.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Arizona. Don't for sure which isotopes they are talking about but one article said they were both quick decay half lives but the two listed in john's post have half lives of about 2 yrs and 30 yrs. Not sure that is quick enough to only affect the west coast! I haven't read or heard anything about it on any of the major news outlets either.
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

How's the treatment going?
425Cat
Advisor

Well it was tough a few days after. Back to "normal" now but my white cell counts got hammered so I have to be careful. Dang chemo looks and smells like battery acid. What a deal . I wish there was a better way. I go again in 2 weeks.

Thanks for asking
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Keep positive!!