Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

A TED Talk

Do you have 20 minutes?

This is an interesting Ted Talk tiltled 'Why Societies Collapse'

A lot to think about and see if you agree with his thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IESYMFtLIis&ebc=ANyPxKrc8oSkrRRuhN_9dyQ30r445n-RftvluE686NU--EI0K_7J...

5 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: A TED Talk

I don`t agree with any of what Diamond said of reasons that societies collapse, I`m not childish and petty as the left so I will not "LoL" at his combover or his elitist attitude.  Okay, he talks about how the Vikings over farmed Norway and there was soil erosion and they didn`t handle climate change.....No, he is wrong Vikings didn`t collapse, they actually accepted Christianity. And that is ridiculous to say they "over farmed Norway" there wasn`t enough Vikings to do that, there are farms in areas of Norway today and some areas of Denmark resemble Iowa.  Norway always had rugged ground so they graze and make hay ...alot of it isn`t suitable for farming, that is why they are fishermen.  But to say Scandanavia somehow failed, is ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway 

Then Diamond talks about why Chinese and Japanese societies survived, the obvious answer is they have had a homogeneous population, they didn`t seperate in groups, each trying to undermine the other.  That is the millstone around the neck of this country, it`ll be the failed idea of multiculturalism that is and will do us in.

Diamond tries to fit Montana into his idea of a society collapsing?????  What?   Smiley Surprised    He says because they depend on ranching and mining.  Well, Montana is suitable for cattle and wheat and they do well at it. And mining they have the oil and minerals it`s what they have and the rest of the country needs it..much like the rest of the country needs Iowa`s pork and corn..every state has strengths and weaknesses, but so far we`ve worked like spokes in a wheel.  But with Montana Ted Turner has a 1 million acre Bison ranch and stars like David Letterman own land there.  The problem if can call it that is land has become so desirable out there that many times a rancher would be better off financially to sell his ranch, because cattle can`t compete, nice problem to have.  And some people can work from home, so they buy a place in Montana and do their work and are right there for skiing and snowmobiling and fishing and hunting, some of us would call that paradise, hardly "society breaking down".

If Jared Diamond wants to see society breaking down, he ought to go to the US/Mexico border or Detroit or Ferguson Missouri, then he`ll firsthand witness society breaking down, if he doesn`t get shot.

You continue to astound with your just knowing. The fact that there are more distinct  ethnicities in the nation of China than bin any other on it's own should keep anyone from

reading anything else you say speaks for itself. About as homogenous as that expansive herd of cattle that the Bundy's have left untended for a couple of decades.   Interesting personal reflection on DImon.7 Having read Guns, Germs and Steel (it's a slog...long and short on entertainment content....I never pass up a chance to enter in to a discussion over it.  There will always be people who finished it who claim the experience to have been transformative. And those who put it down. Who are quick to say that they have no doubt that the handed down record along with the biology and archeology and other science involved are accurate, but that the whole experience made them uncomfortable in regard to their previously held beliefs and perceptions so we're going to just leave it all well enough alone. You are the first in dozens of conversants who has attempted to summarily dismiss this genius researcher and writer by providing his own made-up science. Justknowatology is what you should call it.  Maybe see if you can catch on teaching a couple of units over at NIAC to help augment 3,50 + meager payments corn. 

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todays world history with BA deere !!!!!!!!!

I dont know if I want you stop and never post again or if I want you to publish a series of Best Sellers !!!! ( Palin - caliber )  Smiley Very Happy

LOL !!!!   DO you write for the Onion too ??? LOL !  🙂

Don't ever ever stop posting, I mean that !

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

I've been sitting here wondering, if maybe he's changed brands? This seems to be a little more potent? LOL!!

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Thank you AgJudge, you liberals so rarely hear the truth, I suspect that many of you secretly yearn for it.  The test is, if you can give a serious rebutal to the truth, then what you are hearing might not be the truth.  I really hate to be wrong, so if you could prove me wrong, I`d probably get mad and leave being too embarassed to ever post again.  However, when all the feedback I get from the left is "You just know"  or "LOL LOL LOL"  ...I must be on the right track  🙂