cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Way Out?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/7970619/Obama-could-kill-fossil-fuels-overnight-with-a-nu...

"Muddling on with the status quo is not a grown up policy"

It is becoming abundantly clear that as things now stand we will pick ourselves apart and in the not-too-distant future, enter a spiral of inevitable collapse. The only question there is who holds the reins on the way down.

Can we find a grand project to refocus our energies upon, or will we decide we'd rather fight?

FWIW, h

6 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: It Is About Time!!!!

I have always said that the answer to all of our energy needs was in nuclear technology.  People could have their own nuclear backyard reactor that would run for decades without refueling.  Electric cars would then be practical.  I can even see an on-board reactor on larger farm tractors.

This will be the turning point that everyone has been hoping for.....but watch for the various government groups to somehow screw it all up..... The serious Leftists won't want it, as it will promote capitalism and industry.....some industries won't want it (like GE) because they are all invested in the "foo-foo" greenie stuff and want to see a pay back for putting up all those "dependable" windmills.

Maybe with the new faces in Washington next year, something will get done with this new nuclear technology...we can hope, anyway.

Veteran Advisor

Those "new faces" will be Republicans who are in office as a result of the efforts of the refinery mogul  Koch brothers and **bleep** Armey's Texas oil funded Freedom Works.

The math doesn't work Craig.

Veteran Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

Those "new faces" will be Republicans who are in office as a result of the efforts of the refinery mogul  Koch brothers and **bleep** Armey's Texas oil funded Freedom Works.

The math doesn't work Craig.

The oil companies are in the mineral recovery business. I am sure that they would be very interested in being on the front lines of this new mineral recovery business and the development of all the side industries with it.

Sort of my thinking as well although I was trying to be Rodney King and avoid finger pointing for the moment.

I don't see the current bunch of populists as likely to be receptive to ideas of this sort, "drill baby drill" comes to mind.

You'd also have to sit pretty hard on some hard core religious greens and, as you mention, folks like the Kochs (this would be like putting the crosshairs on them).

I suspect that such an undertaking would also require a lot of money that would have to come from a) rich people paying taxes and b)from not funding the pet projects of a whole lot of special interest, right, left and center.

It would also be necessary to take make a serious science based estimate of what projects have the best chance for paydirt and be able to say no to every special interest that wants a piec of the money. Again, the skepticism of science and the scientific community that pervades the tea party crowd is concerning.

The center isn't there to do it but at least it is worth creating some discussion on somehting useful.

Best, h

Veteran Advisor

There has to be times Craig when even you can't  take yourself seriously.

You're talking about a19th century business model...one that hasn't existed for over 70 years. But,  then, it has evolved to where it is all about extraction........

Veteran Advisor

Who knows?

One glimmer:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/aug/30/bjorn-lomborg-climate-change-u-turn

Maybe he can entice some of the stale old money that is driving industrialists and banksters nuts by sitting on the shelf into action.