cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

A beginning pattern or just isolated incidence?

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/09/15/motive-unclear-in-attack-by-group-of-teens-on-16th-street-mall...

I am concerned about 2 things.  First is this attacking of whites by black teens an indication of a trend and second are all the incidences being reported?

I'm at a loss of how to think or react to this. 

14 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: A beginning pattern or just isolated incidence?

What gets reported as "news" is what some editor determines is newsworthy.

Dog bites man is usually not national news, but Man bites dog is unusual and deemed newsworthy.

We live in a nation that has historically abused and oppressed people of color. If a black man is beat up, I don't think it still makes for national news unless it is videotaped and involves authority like in the Rodney King incident.

Personally I witnessed a terrible brawl about 25 years ago, in a local college town. Some blacks were in a night club and some swarthy softball players had an incident with them that escalated into a major fight outside the bar, with all the cop cars in town eventually showing up, along with ambulances, and knocked out bloody people lying  on the streets, mostly the black men. It was local news, a racial incident, but never made national news because it was not outside the norm.

The bar had an Irish flavor to it and it definately was all white for months afterwards. At least the times I went there. And no, I  did not step  in to help ...it was impossible to tell who the victims were going to be, I am not a fighter by trade, and it wasn't my fight. Been there , done that, and got bloodied before and learned to mind my own business.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Almost everyone can recall the Rodney King incident.  However, few can recall the Reginald Denny incident.  It's not just race either.  Almost everyone can recall the Matthew Sheppard incident.  However, do you really believe if a bunch of homosexuals beat a straight man to death that anyone would actually remember it?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

More likely if a bunch of homosexuals raped a man wouldn't be news.

Highlighted

Things can be simple- "teacher- he bit me first" for example.

And they can be complicated.

Rodney King was a big deal as a flash point in a community that felt like it was under seige by an occupation army.

And it was- the Feds had selectively declared war on the crack trade after CIA and VP office operators had supplied the cocaine that set off the crack epidemic in South Central.

OK, actually it was even more complicated than that- I don't see any evidence that the CIA specifically targeted LA and the minority community- they were just an accidental casualty in an operation that was desperate to get cash to the Contras.

And you could argue that if the Libs hadn't ill advisedly passed the Boland Amendment (an argument that I'll partially accept) that prohibited aid to the Contras, the black ops unit out of the VP's office, Ollie and all, wouldn't have been forced into the narcotics trade. Probably.

And nobody counted on a brilliant entrepreneur called Freeway Ricky Ross who figured out how to turn the flood of cheap coke into cheap rock.

But of course once it meant bigger budgets for law enforcement, criminal justice, the incarceration industry, lookout- it took on a life of its own.

And Reginald Denny certainly didn't deserve to have the crap kicked out of him by a bunch of thugs. But it was all complicated.

Etc., etc., etc.

Highlighted
Advisor

That's a rather clumnsy analogy GH.

To the true conservative, those qxxxxs would be in the same band of the spectrum as the nxxxxxxs would be. Alien...to be feared and mistrusted. To warn your young impressionable children about. To take glee over any misfortune that may befall them.

But most importantly to be there. To remain. To stand as a model for all that is evil. To always be around in order to assure that there is a sufficient pool form which to create your list that you are certain that you can look down your nose at....and that God made it that way...for you and for them.

And it would have to actually happen. I'm sure there have been groups of GLBT people who have been drivin to the edge of insanity, which could create captial violence by the attitudes and actions they've encountered, but I've not heard of the trigger having been pulled.

There is a young Lesbian couple down the road from us (softball players too , BTW) who I'm not sure in my advancing decrepitude I'd necessarily want to tangle with. But then they've become good friends or ours, so it's not likely to happen.

Highlighted
Advisor

On that topic nox........are you a Breaking Bad watcher? If not, nflix it or go to the video store or  library and see if they can get it for you.

Highlighted

No but yeah, we are planning on making that our viewing project this winter.

A couple of years ago we did the Sopranos, last year Mad Men.

There is a lot of good TV being made and it is great to be able to picjk it off in that format.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It wasn't complicated at all.  Let's be real clear here that Rodney King had committed a crime.  His blood alcohol limit was estimated to be 2 1/2 times the legal limit, yet he was driving a car.  He was involved in a high speed chase where he would not pull over for the police.  The video tape of the incident clearly shows King continued to resist arrest by continually trying to get up even as officers had told him to stay down.  The officers in the incident were acquitted.

Now, let's compare King who had broken the law to Denny who's only crime was being in the wrong place at the right time.  Denny sustained considerably worse injuries than King. 

The entire setting had absolutely zero to do with politics.  I'm not sure why you're even bringing in conservative vs. liberal into any of this.  This incident had to do with the media jumping all over the poor oppressed but completely ignoring the story of some random white guy getting beaten nearly to death by thugs.  Really race isn't much of a factor here.  If cops unjustly beat up someone, it's national news.  If someone beats up a cop, it doesn't even make the paper.  I'd venture to guess that had the Matthew Sheppard incident occured in San Francisco, we'd have never heard about it.  It was because it happened in Wyoming that it made national news.   

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

It has been my experience that the true liberals not only categorize people more, they wish I'll on the 'others' far more than true conservatives do.
Now the wing nuts, they are another matter.

You can disagree, but when they had a disagreement was it Spike Lee or Charlton Hessston that wished the other would be shot with a Bulldog revolver?

Just YouTube Rosie Odonnel vs Tom Selleck to see a bad example of the same. You can argue Rosie is a nut case, because she probably is, but she was a host of a mainstream TV show