cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: A good Christian with a gun.

Commie Canuck is going to fact check that one on Snopes, Milligan.

Commie guy, did you play some football up in Canada when they didn't have you wear a helmet to guard against head injuries?

Senior Contributor

So lets see what factcheck.org has to say about violent crime in Australia after the got rid of a lot of guns since you think it is the be al end all of accurate facts.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/gun-control-australia-updated/

With Australia’s population steadily increasing, the nation’s homicide incident rate has fallen even more than the number of homicides — from 1.6 per 100,000 in 1995-96 to 1 per 100,000 in 2013-2014, according to a government report on crime trends. That was the lowest homicide incident rate at the time in 25 years, as we mentioned earlier.

The number of firearm-related homicides also has dropped substantially since the 1996 gun law was enacted.

“The number of homicide incidents involving a firearm decreased by 57 percent between 1989-90 and 2013-14,” the government crime trends report says. “Firearms were used in 13 percent of homicide incidents (n=32) in 2013-14. In 1989-90 it was 24 percent (n=75) of incidents.”

And as a plus suicide by gun has also fallen and no gun massacres since the ban while there had been 13 in the 18 years before.

Double checked to show that the original post about increasing violence was wrong as I noted 

Honored Advisor

What, a reduction in gun homicides in Australia???  Could that be because there has been a actual INCREASE in gun ownership in Australia?

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/07/australia-gun-culture-ownership-increases-in-nsw-and-australia-part...   

Senior Contributor

More guns but fewer people with them and as is often said here it is the person not the gun that is the problem but in Australia there are fewer people with guns to worry about the 'person' now.

So there are fewer hands able to get a gun and a shooter can only use 1 gun at a time

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-44105129

Australians now own more guns in total than they did before the 1996 crackdown, according to figures from 2016 - the last time they were comprehensively studied.

That amounts to more than three million firearms, according to separate government statistics.

But gun ownership per capita has dropped by 23% during the same time, said Associate Prof Philip Alpers from the University of Sydney.

"Far fewer people now have a gun in their home but some people have a lot more guns," Associate Prof Philip Alpers told the BBC.

In the past 30 years, the number of households with at least one gun has declined by 75%.

However, Associate Prof Alpers said that those who already own guns are buying more and registering them at a higher rate.

Honored Advisor

So why take away my guns???  i would never shoot anyone that wasn`t about to harm my family....isn`t that some common ground that we can all agree on?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Amazing how clueless these liberals are.  Because of their mental defects it is no wonder so many of them are gay. 

Senior Contributor

Got children?  Then that is one very good reason.

https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/research/areas-of-research/center-for-injury-research-and-policy...

Gun-Related Injury Facts

• Nearly 1,300 children younger than 18 years of age die from shootings every year.
  • 1 in 3 families with children have at least one gun in the house. It is estimated that there are more than 22 million children living in homes with guns.
  • Most of the victims of unintentional shootings are boys. They are usually shot by a friend or relative, especially a brother.
  • Nearly 40% of all unintentional shooting deaths among children 11-14 years of age occur in the home of a friend.
  • Adolescents are at a higher risk for suicide when there is a gun in the home.

Senior Contributor

"Nearly 1,300 children younger than 18 years of age die from shootings every year." And a large number of those are in gangs in the city of Chicago shooting each other over their turf. Add a few other cites to the list and you cover 95 percent of these shootings your so proud of.

Honored Advisor

My children are old enough to buy their own guns, they can`t have mine until I die.  Besides we didn`t raise morons that couldn`t handle a gun.  If you have kids, that`s all the more reason to have guns, to protect them.

Senior Contributor

You all just believe that guns make you safer but studies show a home with a gun is less safe than one without.

There are  a number of those that all show the same thing, greater risk of death in a home with a gun.