cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

A little inside info on healthcare.

Going forward being a doctor is going to suck even more. I don`t know if this is attributable to Obamacare or just a specific hospital system but doctor`s pay is going to be penalized if they have a patient that`s obese and doesn`t lose weight or a smoker that doesn`t quit.  Healthcare is moving towards "prevention" and there is going to performance based compensation in healthcare.  Kind of like what some want to tie teacher class performance to teacher pay.  Some of you may applaude this "doctor getting fined if his nagging a patient to quit smoking doesn`t work", but this is going to open up a can of worms that many of you won`t like.

6 Replies
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: A little inside info on healthcare.

Why don't you find out before posting something. This sounds like something the AG in TX who is running for Gov.would say--"...and women Drs would suck even more because they aren't as smart as men." Yes, it is moving towards prevention if possible. You don't like that? Wouldn't you rather do something that would prevent cancer from happening rather than try to cure it after it invades your body????
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Interesting thought. How one can look at an incentive ( reward) for a desired outcome can be viewed as a (penalty) for not producing the desired outcome. 

So if you reward an employee for a positive result, that is actually a penalty for those not producing a positive result. Like giving a tip to a good waiter for good performance is punishing a bad waiter for poor performance. When in fact both could earn the tip by doing the desired objective.

Another negative for the ACA?  Really?

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Like a "fine" is penalty for doing wrong, and a "tax" is a penalty for doing well. :-P
Samnospam
Advisor

I can't say this is a trend, but I've talked to a couple people in their 50's who have decided to drop coverage.  They are healthy, not wealthy but over the level of subsidy, and in the very high cost of coverage age bracket.  They've decided to pay cash for regular doctors visits, save the money flushed down the drain on premiums and hope for the best.  

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I don`t think that you understand the full repercussions here Don......well I know you don`t, but I`ll tell you anyway.   Okay, a doctor has no say if a patient doesn`t quit smoking or doesn`t go into the buffet, he can`t nag and follow his patients 24/7.   So, that doctor will be financially punished for patients that have no self-control.  Doctors aren`t going to be thrilled in taking "high risk patients"....i know you`re gonna argue that...with whatever but a doctor is not going to want to touch a fat ass chain smoker, because to clean up his act is a money losing proposition and a waste of time.

Maybe, as in the past if someone can`t quit smoking or lose weight, if they were at least a patient of the doctor they could get the best care under the circumstances.  Not everyone is going to fit their height and weight into the right places on the obesity chart or lead a non-smoking sinnless life. 

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

The reward is for acheiving an objective. While the objective might be difficult, it is still an incentive for that acheivement. Failure to accomplish tne objective means that you aren't rewarded. Which is not punishment.

Like gramma giving sidney a cash reward for baskets made. If sidney only makes a couple of baskets she only earns a pittance. That is not punishing sidney. She has players that are trying to contain her as well. Rewards are for acheiving objectives not punishment for failure.