cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

A non political rant.

Went to the local IH dealer for combine parts. Needed the drain tube for the evaporator core for the AC in the top of the cab. The thing is plastic, looks like the stuff wiring harness is wrapped with. About 3/4 inch in diameter and 134 inches long. I asked how much/foot. He said $3.30. I just stood there dumbfounded. After a long pause I said I can get 4 inch pipe, buried 4 foot in the ground for less than a dollar. He looked at me and said it's a good thing you don't want to bury this stuff. Hard to argue with that kind of logic.

2 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: I Wonder If This Might Work.

@r3020 wrote:

Went to the local IH dealer for combine parts. Needed the drain tube for the evaporator core for the AC in the top of the cab. The thing is plastic, looks like the stuff wiring harness is wrapped with. About 3/4 inch in diameter and 134 inches long. I asked how much/foot. He said $3.30. I just stood there dumbfounded. After a long pause I said I can get 4 inch pipe, buried 4 foot in the ground for less than a dollar. He looked at me and said it's a good thing you don't want to bury this stuff. Hard to argue with that kind of logic.

I wonder, since your hose needs to be 3/4 of an inch in diameter, if a piece of anhydrous ammonia tubing might work.  It is clear and flexible....and darn tough, too.

Senior Advisor

Re: I Wonder If This Might Work.

Craig, I thought the same thing after I got the expensive piece of crap. Bought this combine used over the winter. When I ran wheat the water was dripping in the cab. Took the top off the cap, the mice had plugged the one on the left and the one on the right was clear gone. Thought I needed to fix it before I ruined the upholstery. Not much room to work up there, was afraid the anhydrous hose may not slip on the end of the tray under the core. It is made for this corrugated plastic. Didn't know if I could get anything else to seal right. It definitely would have been worth the try. Oh well, that's life.