cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

A political coward?

Yes the President said we are going to bring !0K troops home this year and 30K more by september of next year. That will leave our Afghanistan commitment to the same level we had when he was inaugerated. Big deal!

The right think to do is to bring them all home, yesterday not tomorrow. He is not presidential or even decisive. He afraid of being labled a cut and runner after ten years of this futile effort. As if his opponents aren't already saying every criticism imaginable.

The generals have had a decade tpo do their jobs. Another 3 years will produce nothing positive. If a hundred K american troops cannot win the exchange then 200K of afghani troops aren't going to restore order either.

It's over. There is nothing positive to staying and plenty of negatives. He said he didn't care if he was a one term president. That being the case, bring them home and give up your job. If that is what it takes to do what is right.

24 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: A political coward?

Did you see Lawrence Wilkerson on Countdown last night don.

He was rather fatalistic, and I have no memory of him having been wrong on much of anything since 9-11.

Matt Tiabbi was on also, discussing his Bachman article.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hey the moon and stars must be in alignment because we agree on this one. Bring them all home and defend our border with Mexico.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I didn't see wilkerson but diod see Taibbi. Channel switching as we had to watch Casey Anthony battered in the media trial. I fell asleep before the olberman rerun.

Highlighted
Advisor

Slippery slope there tiller

Not sayin'.....but 2nd term Bush voters, folks who never questioned neoconservatism and/or evangelical Christian-Zionists, orientalism inspired boogey man detectors, general Islamaphobics etc.etc. who are on record anywhere from supporting the war on terror as a liscense for any damned thing that the military complex wanted to do to or that Saudi Arabia and Isreal told us that we had to do, or doing "the Milligan" and calling for all out extermination of millions of human beings, who are now suddenly opposed to what they want to paint as "Obama's wars" are going to be seen for the hypocrits that they are.

Same as for critics of what is going on in Pakistan and Libya. Those of us who opposed the wars, most particularly the invasion if Iraq, have the cred to say what don says, and to comment on that.

It's going to be dizzying watching the various goofballs running for the GOP nomination try to meld their views in a manner that won't make the party look like a circus clown troop. Except, of course, for Dr. Paul who has been right...FROM THE START, not just now as it is starting to be seen as inconveniently expensive......

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Don I agree with you and also wonder about Senator Kerry who recently agreed to allow Obama to continue military operations in Libya without getting Congressional approval.   Why after Bin Laden's death are we not hearing Kerry question Obama's slow withdrawal from Afghanistan and Iraq and ask "Who wants to be the last man to die for a mistake?" 

I do think Obama has been dealt a tough hand though and like you say may be falling into the same trap as other POTUS before him and worry about being labeled as cut and running or losing the battle.   Obama also faces the same problem as Nixon in Vietnam where enemy combatants are using another more neutral country to take shelter and act as their base for operations making it more difficult for U.S. and NATO forces to defeat them.  It also has not helped Bush and Obama when the Pakistan government and military was more effectively working for and with the terrorists then they were with the U.S. in fighting the terrorists

You are right Bruce, only Ron Paul for the Repubs can honestly criticize Obama on this.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Slippery slope there tiller

Thank you. Ron Paul was my pick in the Iowa caucuses.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Ron Paul is still my first pick but fear he has an up hill battle gaining an acceptance by the majority of the people.   Some of his ideas and beliefs could be pretty tough for many to accept even now during dire times which suggest to me just how screwed up and corrupted our political system is and how uninformed many people are and how many just don't care.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Your last 5 words hit the target. They don't care as long as the welfare check keeps coming in. This has to stop.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Who are you talking about? The hundreds of thousands that lost their jobs? How would that help to take their checks away. Would that magically create jobs when a large bunch of consumers have nothing to spend?