cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnaa
Advisor

Re: A visit with Monsanto's Dr. Fraley

I believe Mike is intelligent and does not need you explain anything.  Your little insult explains what you are   Grow up!.

jput
Senior Contributor

I suppose we should all wait for john to blame Monsanto's success on the Joooooooz.

Or launch into the lets all grow hemp because there is no market here for it but we should all grow hemp just because tirade.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

My question to our Ag Forum folks and those around the world is this. Do you agree that Monsanto is a company that needs to up their sales pitch on the safety of GMO's? As a member of the first part of the foodchain, what do you want this company to do for you? What is it that drives your opinion about the seed and chemical giant? The floor is yours.

Mike

jput
Senior Contributor

Lefty extremists have done their damndest to demonize Monsanto. (And then there are the conspiracy ones like johnaa).   No,  I'm not saying Monsanto is pure as new fallen snow and to be sure,  their public relations dept. has failed at several points. 

The following is an example of what is possible,  a combination tomato and potato in one plant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Ky1cyTuzk

I wonder if I can grow that in my garden without killing it prematurely somehow?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well Canuck, in my case I've turned into a crackety old fart....I don't like change, I don't like seatbelts, I don't like being told that I can't smoke so I'm taking up smoking, I really hate people that are smarter than me especially when they tell me something is "good for me".

Change is never good the new Coke wasn't as good as the Classic Coke the stuff with REAL SUGAR not this damned corn syrup crap. Big Macs used to be big and good and now they're crap. The 5,9L Cummins motor was bullet proof now these damned 6.7L motors are crap.Johnny Carson was the best talk show host those that have copied him are talentless idiots.

One day they say "coffee is good for you" tomorrow they'll say coffee will kill you. So its no wonder I'm not a big fan of GMOs... people smarter than me are telling me that its good for me. And I hate everything about that!!!   Smiley Happy

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

BA, some of my fondest memories, when I was a little tyke, I was barely in grade school, my dad would let me stay up on Friday nights, and watch 'Johnny' with him for a while.   If they announced the 'Mighty Carson Art Players' were making an appearance, he would let me stay up to see that.   I can still remember the ones where he was an aged 'Bond, John Bond' and his car was a toilet with a gun mounted on it, where he'd jiggle the handle to make it shoot.

Leno isn't bad, but I think there may be a little language my kids don't need to hear, while I don't think I ever got in trouble for repeating what Johnny said.

Thanks for bringing back a fond memory.

As to Coke with real sugar, around here you can get 'Mexican Coke' for about double price, that has the real sugar in it, and it tastes a bit different, too.   No idea if it is still the 'old' recipe, as I can't remember that far back.

I'm thinking about smoking, too.   I hear that every cigarette you smoke, takes 2 days off your life, but quitting adds 10 years.

So, I'll smoke a couple packs, subtract a month or so off my life, then quit and add 10 years.   After 7 or 8 years, I'll smoke another couple packs, subtract a month or two off my life, then quit, and add another 10 years.   At that rate, I maybe could live forever.   It has to work, because those are both numbers that the experts say are true.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

Well Canuck, in my case I've turned into a crackety old fart....I don't like change, I don't like seatbelts, I don't like being told that I can't smoke so I'm taking up smoking, I really hate people that are smarter than me especially when they tell me something is "good for me".

Change is never good the new Coke wasn't as good as the Classic Coke the stuff with REAL SUGAR not this damned corn syrup crap. Big Macs used to be big and good and now they're crap. The 5,9L Cummins motor was bullet proof now these damned 6.7L motors are crap.Johnny Carson was the best talk show host those that have copied him are talentless idiots.

One day they say "coffee is good for you" tomorrow they'll say coffee will kill you. So its no wonder I'm not a big fan of GMOs... people smarter than me are telling me that its good for me. And I hate everything about that!!!   Smiley Happy

Geeezz BA did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Is anything OK in your life?

I wore seat belts before they made it a law, they just made sense.

I plan on living a long time and so far it has worked out.

Never drank Coke so I will let you worry about the taste.

Everything in moderation coffee etc then it will not hurt you much or help you much.

But back to GMO's I think they have been good for the world and will become even more important in the future.

Am waiting for them to get corn to fix it's own N like soys,then how many will say they are bad?

r3020
Senior Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:

Now BA, quit trying to take away the GMOs because we make a lot of money raising nonGMOs. Although after this years problems in nonGMO beans with the prowl damage and the giant ragweeds I'm about ready to throw in the towel on that one. We gave back a lot of what we have made on them over the years in just this one year. Oh well, sometimes life's a beach.

To be very honest, I would rather have something genetically modified than have it spayed if I am going to eat it. Now hormones in livestock is a different story. There has to be a reason for young girls to be reaching sexual maturity at such a young age. Not saying it is something they eat.......but also not saying it isn't.

We have our own home grown hogs and beefs butchered so they are hormone free. Good selling points to sell a few freezer beefs also.

jput
Senior Contributor

r3020,  just a friendly reminder that there isn't any "hormone free"  livestock.    There are naturally occuring hormones in critters and humans.    I used to laugh when the organic folk advertised "hormone free" but then they took up really disparaging other farmers' products.

The correct wording is "no artificial hormones added".

As I posted earlier,  I don't care if you farm certified organic,  or plant conventionals,  or use gm varieties (genetic modified is the correct term,  not gmo).    Just don't go around disparaging other farmers'  products in a slimy effort to sell your own stuff.

When corn was much higher in price,  there was that out cry,  "no food for fuel"  (in part sponsored by walmart and the Grocers Association,  which caught on with the ethanol haters).    One wonders how much more grain it would take to finish beef cattle to slaughter,  if you banned implants,  and growth promoters in their feed?  Certainly would reduce the rate of gain.

And again,  if someone wants to raise "certified organic beef",   grass-fed beef,  natural beef or other meats,  don't go running down the products of other farmers to sell your stuff.

We've had gm corn and soybeans since the mid-90s,  and there are no science-backed incidents proven to harm critters or humans eating critter.   Hard to duplicate that same safety track record out there in the real world of so many products.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@jput wrote:

r3020,  just a friendly reminder that there isn't any "hormone free"  livestock.    There are naturally occuring hormones in critters and humans.    I used to laugh when the organic folk advertised "hormone free" but then they took up really disparaging other farmers' products.

The correct wording is "no artificial hormones added".

As I posted earlier,  I don't care if you farm certified organic,  or plant conventionals,  or use gm varieties (genetic modified is the correct term,  not gmo).    Just don't go around disparaging other farmers'  products in a slimy effort to sell your own stuff.

When corn was much higher in price,  there was that out cry,  "no food for fuel"  (in part sponsored by walmart and the Grocers Association,  which caught on with the ethanol haters).    One wonders how much more grain it would take to finish beef cattle to slaughter,  if you banned implants,  and growth promoters in their feed?  Certainly would reduce the rate of gain.

And again,  if someone wants to raise "certified organic beef",   grass-fed beef,  natural beef or other meats,  don't go running down the products of other farmers to sell your stuff.

We've had gm corn and soybeans since the mid-90s,  and there are no science-backed incidents proven to harm critters or humans eating critter.   Hard to duplicate that same safety track record out there in the real world of so many products.

All good points J.