cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

A woman scorned is.......VERY VINDICTIVE

Old Newt, he's such a............................newt.

Ouch, I guess she got a little payback.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/

MARIANNE GINGRICH HAS SOMETHING TO SAY.... Disgraced former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) has a special kind of appreciation for marriage. Gingrich, for example, haggled over the terms of his divorce from his first wife while she was in the hospital, recovering from uterine cancer surgery. He had already proposed to his second wife before he was divorced from his first.

In the '90s, this happened again. Gingrich had an affair with a 33-year-old congressional aide -- while spearheading the impeachment proceedings against President Clinton -- and asked his third wife to marry him before he was divorced from his second.

All of this, of course, would be easier to overlook if (a) Gingrich didn't seem entirely serious about running for president in 2012; and (b) Gingrich weren't running around saying things like, "The Democratic Party has been the active instrument of breaking down traditional marriage."

The middle wife -- the one between Newt's first and third marriages -- is Marianne, who once boasted she could end Gingrich's career with a single interview. Marianne has shown remarkable restraint for over a decade, but appears to have given that interview to Esquire.

It's a very lengthy piece, but the anecdote that's likely to generate the most attention comes in her telling of the point in May 1999, soon after she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, when Gingrich confessed to one of his affairs -- with a woman who was in Marianne's "apartment, eating off her plates, sleeping in her bed."

[Marianne] called a minister they both trusted. He came over to the house the next day and worked with them the whole weekend, but Gingrich just kept saying she was a Jaguar and all he wanted was a Chevrolet. " 'I can't handle a Jaguar right now.' He said that many times. 'All I want is a Chevrolet.' "

He asked her to just tolerate the affair, an offer she refused.

He'd just returned from Erie, Pennsylvania, where he'd given a speech full of high sentiments about compassion and family values.

The next night, they sat talking out on their back patio in Georgia. She said, "How do you give that speech and do what you're doing?"

"It doesn't matter what I do," he answered. "People need to hear what I have to say. There's no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn't matter what I live."

Speaking to how the former Speaker sees the world, Marianne said Gingrich "believes that what he says in public and how he lives don't have to be connected." As for his presidential aspirations, she added, "There's no way."

17 Replies
Kraftedbydemocrats
Senior Contributor

Re: A woman scorned is.......VERY VINDICTIVE

This what the supporters of President Clinton said when he was fooling around on Hillary. It is the same thing. Clinton said he can govern while being serviced in the White House. It is none of our business. I am not a supporter of Newt but, should he not be given the same treatment as Clinton?

4wd
Senior Contributor

Wow~! Those of you lucky enough to not have one, cannot appreciate the power an X has,  I guess, forever---until she dies. Only then the secretes are burried. Newt is toast.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

Treat him the same, as in the "cigar treatment"??? I couldn't resist.

I kind of find it funny though that the woman who squeezed out the 1st wife, is ticked about being squeezed out by the 3rd wife. What the heck did she expect??? It's not like the first one was dead and gone, and she acts as though she's shocked by his infidelity.  It reminds me of the overused plot of the thief ripping off his fellow thief, and the total shock of it.

Newt has been hitting the Sunday politico shows pretty hard this year and last, and it's obvious he's got plans for something in the near future. You either have to admire his drive and the way he'll do anything to meet his goals, or despise it. I think that she's just trying to get some payback, and of course controversy sells, and Esquire was more than willing to give her a place to sound off. But, he's a big damned hypocrite if what she said is true.

I don't care what he does, and all 3 women went along with him willingly, and it's none of my business. I like a little of what he says and his reasonableness, but I don't like his double standards.

4wd
Senior Contributor

Quote a tidbit from tom:

"but I don't like his double standards"

Tom, no one likes a person with double standards, and another name for that person is a liar. BUT, in Newt's case, to believe he is a liar is to believe an X wife's statements, and keep in mind he has more than one to corraborate the statements about his behavior. I still think he is toast, Most Other women reading and hearing her blather about Newt  will believe it!

Quote another tidbit from Tom

"I kind of find it funny though that the woman who squeezed out the 1st wife, is ticked about being squeezed out by the 3rd wife. What the heck did she expect???"

Tomas, you must learn to think like a woman...Second thought, forget it, Not possible!!!!!!!!!

bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

I can't think about either one of those two dirt road crackers without thinking of the other.

Crass opportunists...one time smart and ambitious young kids who were out to prove themselves to people who they felt socially inferior to and wanted to be like. Absolutely perfectly suited for the phoney salad days of the 1990s as he air really started to flow into the bubble that finally blew up on us in the fall of 2008.

Not a nickels worth of difference between the two of them. Shameless opportunists driven by emotional insecurity.

BA Deere
Senior Contributor

In this day and age does this stuff kill a political career? It used to be "If they were caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy, they were done".  To Dems, they wouldn`t vote for Newt anyway. It`s an issue for maybe 10% Repubs. If Newt can hoodwink the Repubs for the nomination, this wouldn`t be a deal breaker for the voters at large. I`ve counseled some going through divorce and tend to not believe completely what`s said on either side. What`s funny is Obama seems to be a pretty good husband and father, however he`s way over his head in leading the country. Newt, sucks as a husband, father if he is one, but is probably the leader this country needs right now.

cotman03
Veteran Contributor

At least believes in traditional marriage.  Such a big fan he's done it three times.  Traditional would be marrying a woman.  Not a big fan of Newt 

Kraftedbydemocrats
Senior Contributor

I agree completely with you, Bruce. I wish both of them would crawl under a rock and stay there. Bill can take Hillary to keep him company too.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Are you really an idiot or just pretending???