cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

About taking away guns from incompetent

It appears that everybody is in agreement that incompetent people shouldn't have guns.

That means we abridge their second amendment rights, because nowhere in that amendment does it say you have to be competent nor does it have any stipulation about your status as a law abiding citizen.  It just says "the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

If we are willing to remove the right of people to have guns because they are incompetent, or unable to care for themselves shouldn't we consider removing their right to vote too?   After all voting is more of a danger to the country than one gun.  Electing a person that plunges us into a war killing thousands has more consequences than one person with a gun.  Or electing a person that sends millions into poverty is certainly more harmful than one person with a gun.

Letting the incompetent, the felon vote is a major danger to the country and the world and it begs the question, is an incompetent ripe for manipulation?  Is it a way for some group to invalidate votes by informed and competent voters?

If we're willing to deny one constitutional right based on competence should we deny others?

6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: About taking away guns from incompetent

Advisor

That's the real purpose behind Obamacare- so they can track your meds.

Senior Contributor

I had mixed feelings as to how the left would respond about my proposal.  They have been in the past the biggest recipients of the mentally incompetent vote so I could see them against the removal of voting rights for incompetent but on the other had they also are in favor of removing rights from the constitution so one has to balance their response.

Veteran Advisor

The founding fathers attempted to limit the vote to try to have the educated taxpayers and gun owners be the ones voting. They had the foresight to see where letting every imbecile vote would lead.....GWB and BHO are both products of the progressive system. 

Also, the founding fathers tried to buffer what a demagogue could accomplish by having the legislatures elect the state senators, and having an electoral college of seasoned electors that could stop a demagogue from becoming president, popular vote not withstanding. Trump probably fits the definition of a demagogue, BHO certainly does...GWB, probably not so much.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@wehav wrote:

It appears that everybody is in agreement that incompetent people shouldn't have guns.

That means we abridge their second amendment rights, because nowhere in that amendment does it say you have to be competent nor does it have any stipulation about your status as a law abiding citizen.  It just says "the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

If we are willing to remove the right of people to have guns because they are incompetent, or unable to care for themselves shouldn't we consider removing their right to vote too?   After all voting is more of a danger to the country than one gun. Cant ever remember a vote taking up arms and slaughtering hundreds of children in the name of the 2nd amendment but I might be wrong.  Electing a person that plunges us into a war killing thousands has more consequences than one person with a gun.Yeah, that wasnt GWB and thd repubican liars finest hour.  Or electing a person that sends millions into poverty is certainly more harmful than one person with a gun.Believing that leads me thin that the next thing you will be proposing is we will be damned to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!

Letting the incompetent, the felon vote is a major danger to the country and the world and it begs the question, is an incompetent ripe for manipulation?  Is it a way for some group to invalidate votes by informed and competent voters?

If we're willing to deny one constitutional right based on competence should we deny others?Dont be so ignorant. The whole rant is about shifting the ephasis from failure of your mob to proposing the current leadership is leading the country down the road of impovershiment.  Whilst you have a legit argument it has nothing to do with what you are trying to achieve.  There is no link between the two and if they did make it law you would be the first to condemn it and scream about your rights of freedom being infringed.

Senior Contributor

If we are willing to remove the right of people to have guns because they are incompetent, or unable to care for themselves shouldn't we consider removing their right to vote too?   After all voting is more of a danger to the country than one gun. Cant ever remember a vote taking up arms and slaughtering hundreds of children in the name of the 2nd amendment but I might be wrong.  

That entire sentence makes no sense, but it is typical of a liberal.

Electing a person that plunges us into a war killing thousands has more consequences than one person with a gun.Yeah, that wasnt GWB and thd repubican liars finest hour.  I have to believe your a young liberal who has no recollection of the Vietnam war that was started by LBJ and was completely fabricated by his minions.  Unlike GWB who thought he had credible infromation from several countries and a CIA left from Bill Clinton.  Or electing a person that sends millions into poverty is certainly more harmful than one person with a gun.Believing that leads me thin that the next thing you will be proposing is we will be damned to hell!!!!!!!!!!!!  A Non sequitur.

If we're willing to deny one constitutional right based on competence should we deny others?Dont be so ignorant. The whole rant is about shifting the ephasis from failure of your mob to proposing the current leadership is leading the country down the road of impovershiment.  Whilst you have a legit argument it has nothing to do with what you are trying to achieve.  There is no link between the two and if they did make it law you would be the first to condemn it and scream about your rights of freedom being infringed.  The basic premise of the left is to make as many people poor as possible so as to retain control.  Yes, silly me and millions of others would scream about our rights because the constitution enumerates them.  Your leftist ideals believe the constitution is an impediment, our side believes it's protection from corruption and dictators such as the wanna be now in power.