cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Talk about wind!

@KNAPPer wrote:

Believe it or not, I'd agree with you on Solandra. That was a short sighted, ill advised give away and some peole still got rich. What I hope you would also agree to is that just because Solandra was a piece of dung, that does not mean all solar peojects are a piece of dung and it is worth looking into when it comes a time that solar power is a needed project. I am not sure we even want massive solar projects, but rather many, many small solar investments such as on residential and commercial buildings. The technology is here, we just need a good way to implment it without pouring monney into some fly by night big business that will take our money and fold up.

Knapper, I don't know of anyone who is apposed to solar/wind energy. What conservatives say is best to keep government out and let the entrepreneurs work to bring it to market at an affordable price. Breaking new and existing coal fired plants so the price of energy would necessarily sky rocket, the president's words not mine, is not in the best interest of the citizens.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: About that wind power

But urban legend matters and after the Spanish/Australian consortium that bought the 99 year lease on the toll road went belly up, I've heard from numerous parties that "we got it back." No we didn't the lease just passed to the next buyer, but it matters what people believe.

As far as some of Mitch's good press regarding the Purdue "tuition freeze", there are a coouple thingies. One is that there are steep differential fees on engineering and other tech programs so it is essentially a two tier system- the freeze is on base tuition.

Also the number of Indiana grads as undergraduates has fallen by 3000 while the number of foreign students has increased by 2000, about a $40M difference in revenue annually.

that accounts for all the Chinese kids tooling around Lafayette in Maseratis.

#1 public university for foreign students, which isn't all bad but interesting that Ida thought I'd hear something about that at the coffee shop.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

There are 15 of the 2.5MW turbines within view of where I live.  They are 3 years old now and several have had the massive crane set up beside them already.  I don't know what was wrong but I do know that crane ain't cheap.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-400-Watt-Off-Grid-Solar-Panel-Kit-GS-400-KIT/203505963

Solar is affordable. Meanwhile the profitable oil industry gets many subsidies. Coal has been around way more than a hundred years, so why hasn't it rizen to power like in China? Oh yeah, in the major cities in China that are in a dense coal smoke fog, they are asking people to just "smile" to get through it. Look it up if you scoff. Coal is not the future. It is the past, cheap, but the past.

Highlighted
Advisor

In 2014 (when oil averaged qround $100), none of the multinational oil majors generated enough from operations to pay their dividend- the 2-3% they paid had to be partly funded by borrowing or asset sales.

If that doesn't show how much capital destruction is going on in oil I don't know what does.

Although oil production is a lot like cash rent farming= they just paid too much either for drilling rights outright or royalties- so the "landlords" got their money, for now.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I would like to have that to run my wood burner. I bet they will get more affordable. 

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-400-Watt-Off-Grid-Solar-Panel-Kit-GS-400-KIT/203505963

Solar is affordable. Meanwhile the profitable oil industry gets many subsidies. Coal has been around way more than a hundred years, so why hasn't it rizen to power like in China? Oh yeah, in the major cities in China that are in a dense coal smoke fog, they are asking people to just "smile" to get through it. Look it up if you scoff. Coal is not the future. It is the past, cheap, but the past.

We can burn coal cleanly and we do. The one great thing about making coal unaffordable though is that makes corn work in the stove. Thank you uncle Sam. Sorry coal miners.

Veteran Advisor

As I have said many times, you guys are always looking for ONE thing to end the problem no matter what it is!  Unless the wind mills are costing more than they produce, it helps ease the reliance on oil and coal.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=19270085

Stuff happens.  Equipment breaks.