cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Talk about wind!

Well, funny things about walls.  They have a tendency to evolve from keeping people out to keeping people in!!!

Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

Well, funny things about walls.  They have a tendency to evolve from keeping people out to keeping people in!!!

After the invaders have destroyed the country.

Senior Contributor

Believe it or not, I'd agree with you on Solandra. That was a short sighted, ill advised give away and some peole still got rich. What I hope you would also agree to is that just because Solandra was a piece of dung, that does not mean all solar peojects are a piece of dung and it is worth looking into when it comes a time that solar power is a needed project. I am not sure we even want massive solar projects, but rather many, many small solar investments such as on residential and commercial buildings. The technology is here, we just need a good way to implment it without pouring monney into some fly by night big business that will take our money and fold up.

Senior Contributor

Knapper, I agree.  Small scale solar seems to work.  Farmers with small windmills say they are a nightmare.

Veteran Advisor

These guys spout the samo samo all the time--they just change the subject matter!!  They say taxing the rich won't get us out of debt, that wind power won't erase our energy problems, etc, etc!  Problem no one EXCEPT them are even thinking about thinking any one thing will work.  What would be wrong with using wind where it is windy most of the time, solar where it is sunny most of the time and hydro where water is available to produce electricity.  Every bit of energy that can be generated by whatever means available means that much less oiland coal has to be burned to do that job!  I think if chump or rizo or anyother rightwinger gets elected and comes up with one of those ideas, these guys will embrace it with body and soul and proclaim him or her to be the smartest person on earth!!!

Veteran Advisor

Those farmers were sold a bill of goods without understanding that you have to have pretty consistent wind to be effective.  You can't just throw up a windmill and expect it to provide electricity when the wind doesn't blow fast enough to generate electricity!

Senior Contributor

I don't think it's so much that, Snurrbutt, but they get struck by lightning or have other mechanical failures.  Then they have to call a crane and that gets very expensive very fast.

Senior Contributor

This is just a sort of FYI thing that I think some of you know, but some may not. Wind generated electric power goes way back to the early 1900s. People who were living completely off the grid, and that was many people back from the teens through WWII, would purchase a generating windmill and a "Delco Plant." The name may sound familiar - A.C. Delco. Anyway, the windmill charged up battteries and people could actually stay up past dark without a lantern or a candle! Amazing, well, today not really. I just thought some people would find it interesting.

http://www.doctordelco.com/Dr._Delco/Welcome.html

Senior Contributor

That's right knapper I once knew a guy who took one off an old barn. Was for barn lights to milk by. It was just a car type generator but didn't hold up real well out in the weather IIRC. 

Veteran Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

This is just a sort of FYI thing that I think some of you know, but some may not. Wind generated electric power goes way back to the early 1900s. People who were living completely off the grid, and that was many people back from the teens through WWII, would purchase a generating windmill and a "Delco Plant." The name may sound familiar - A.C. Delco. Anyway, the windmill charged up battteries and people could actually stay up past dark without a lantern or a candle! Amazing, well, today not really. I just thought some people would find it interesting.

http://www.doctordelco.com/Dr._Delco/Welcome.html

I've read this thread with interest. Some forms of electrical generation are clearly more efficient than others, also some makers of equipment are better engineers than others. 

Near Macksburg, Iowa, are 51 Seimens 2.5 MW wind turbines. Together they produce 117 MW of power. That is at full capacity on a windy day, which is 40% of the time, on average. The wind farm can supply 30,000 homes at top capacity. Each tower cost $2.3 million and have a 42 year expected life span. 

Over near Pella, Iowa, they are finally installing two hydroelectric generators on Lake Red Rock. Those two generators will produce 225 MW of power, with 100% efficiency , and can be run to match needed power demand. I am not sure of the cost, but I am sure that the return on investment is far better than the wind farm.