cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Advocates of big government and more regulation......

I have asked a frequent liberal poster here a couple of times this question but he refuses to answer.  I think it is worth discussing.  This poster recently travelled out of the country to have some services done, driving 14 hours, even though the same services are widely available within minutes of his home.  He claims to be a champion of the American worker, big government social programs, health care reform, cap and trade probably, etc.  American employers are burdened with societal demands, i.e. government regulations, to pay employees a minimum amount, match social security and medicare payments, pay worker's compensation and unemployment insurance among other things for employees, to provide safe workplaces, etc.  Employee treatment is just one example but there are others that drive the cost of doing business higher for American employers.  As far as I know, all these regulations were the result of liberal thinking.  The costs of the employers services are going to be necessarily higher in this country versus other countries that don't have the same standards in place.  I am currently employing 3 Mexicans legally who are here because in Mexico they can make only $2/day in the country or $80/week in Mexico City.  Why is it okay for the liberal, once the cost of his regulations get too high for even him to pay, to leave the country to save money in a country that doesn't even come close to our standards where employees are concerned?  In my mind, it's hypocracy in the worst way. 

9 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Advocates of big government and more regulation......

Do You think Your hiring of imported Mexicans is the least bit hypocritical when there are so many american workers unemployed?

Just wondering  being you're so glib with that hypocrite word.

Senior Advisor

Why do people who cuss NAFTA oppose closing the border?

Senior Advisor

I don't oppose closing the border?

Senior Contributor

I'm not on here championing the cause of the American worker and big government like you are so it's certainly not hypocritical for me to be hiring Mexican labor.  The unemployed Americans around my area are unemployed because of two reasons anyway:  They choose to be; or they are unemployable due to alcohol or drug problems and/or extremely poor work ethic.  I've been through alot of them and paid them substantially more than I'm paying the Mexicans.  Work ethic kills the locals regardless of what they are getting paid.  I could pay them $30/hour and positive nothing would change.  So no defense about traveling to Mexico for services leaving behind nurses and office staff in the US who have families and have no say in what you are charged for a visit to their employer?  You should practice what you preach for all of us and realize that the costs we are all charged here are so high because of the policies you favor.    

Senior Advisor

Re: So you are saying

that no american is available that would do your work at $30 per hour. That must mean all americans are earning more than that and will not do menial labor for anything less. Thus you must hire someone from 1000 miles away because there are no americans doing that kind of work.

I'm sure most americans would be surprised to know that.

Senior Contributor

The problem is that most of those seeking employment around here and I have a dramatically different idea of what "doing my work" is.  I'd like for my work to be done timely and correctly the first time.  I am writing the check so it's what I want that counts.  What people don't understand is that it's not the availability of potential employees that complicates this business or any business that requires physical labor in tough conditions but the lack of available employees who have a work ethic about them that makes it difficult.  There are alot of people who would take the job if I paid $30/hour and alot who would leave it after one week or do it so poorly that I would end up firing them from it.  And, like you going to the dentist in Mexico because you can't afford one in Tulsa, why would I pay someone $30/hour when I can pay $8/hour plus housing and know that I am going to have an employee who works circles around even me and smiles while he's doing it?       

Senior Advisor

So then it is about money? I assure you that there are millions of americans working at unpleasant jobs for a little money and many are good workers as well. However, you do not want to compete to hire them because you want to save money. Good excuse, but don't claim that american workers won't do the job when so many are.

I went to mexico for dental work to save money. I doubt I would have had the same work done in the US because I wouldn't put $15K into the mouth of an old goat like me

Senior Contributor

Every area of the country is different.  My area has a shortage of healthy and employable seasonal labor.  It is about money.  I'm not in business to not think about money.  

I understand about your dental work.  It is about money and I have no problem with that just as you should have no problem with my hiring Mexicans being about money either.  The problem I have is that you and others on this site and across the country who advocate for big government, more regulation, union resurgence,  need to realize that the costs associated with your positions don't make the products and services of this country competitive with those in countries who don't have the same standards.  It seems to me that if you support the policy, you should support the employers and their employees forced to live with your policy too.  The costs go up for all of us and most working Americans don't have time to travel to Mexico to get away from it.  Don't advocate for more and more regulation in this country but buy a shirt made in China because it's cheaper!  

Senior Contributor

Re: example of closing the border....r3020

Closing the border is sort of a knee jerk reaction by people who can not see the forest for the trees.

Closing the border is what many countries tried in the thirties, the Great Depression, and we all know how that worked out.

Here is an example of closing the border, done all by one border guard.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/03/16/bc-borderprotectionism.html?ref=rss&loomi...