cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnaa
Advisor

Afghanistan

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=33e4ec877eed6a43863a4a92e&id=6f3a67c965&e=56a2bcafac

snip- “Karzai told defence contractor Lockheed Martin, ‘You give hundreds of millions of dollars in contracts to my family and to my minister’s families because you expect to buy influence. You’re not getting influence, and you’re not getting your money back, either.'”

snip-Plus, the Taliban know there’s a four-trillion-dollar carrot awaiting those who sign on to a peace agreement. The US Air Force has conducted a complete aerial survey of Afghan resources and released Russian assays measuring the nation’s untapped mineral wealth in gold (in Badakshan), copper (Balkhab), iron (Haji-Gak), cobalt (Aynak), carbonatite (Khanneshin), tin (Dusar-Shaida) and more. Afghanistan could be the Saudi Arabia of rich rocks.

snip-Left out of the published US reports (but something I dug out of old paper CIA files not purged from computers) was the most valuable stash of all: uranium, possibly the world’s largest deposit. The Soviets secretly mined the uranium, using only imported Russian workers, until they were chased back home in 1988.

snip--Taliban are Pashtun. They are citizens of Afghanistan. They have to have a place in our democracy.” That’s not what Uncle Sam wants to hear. President Barack Obama, the Drone Ranger, wants to convert Afghan forces into a kind of drone army, remotely controlled killers keeping the pot boiling.                                                                                                   

Afghans, however, have had enough of playing proxy in someone else’s war. And they see an opportunity to end the killing. It was taken as a matter of fact by all the Asian diplomats I met that, “The Taliban have been defeated” – militarily, that is; like the US army, they can’t advance or hold ground. They are facing fellow Pashtuns (Karzai is one, of course), not the Northern Alliance of minorities that once controlled their oppositon. The Taliban can’t party like it’s 1999.

1 Reply
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Re: Afghanistan

@johnaa wrote:

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=33e4ec877eed6a43863a4a92e&id=6f3a67c965&e=56a2bcafac

snip- “Karzai told defence contractor Lockheed Martin, ‘You give hundreds of millions of dollars in contracts to my family and to my minister’s families because you expect to buy influence. You’re not getting influence, and you’re not getting your money back, either.'”

snip-Plus, the Taliban know there’s a four-trillion-dollar carrot awaiting those who sign on to a peace agreement. The US Air Force has conducted a complete aerial survey of Afghan resources and released Russian assays measuring the nation’s untapped mineral wealth in gold (in Badakshan), copper (Balkhab), iron (Haji-Gak), cobalt (Aynak), carbonatite (Khanneshin), tin (Dusar-Shaida) and more. Afghanistan could be the Saudi Arabia of rich rocks.

snip-Left out of the published US reports (but something I dug out of old paper CIA files not purged from computers) was the most valuable stash of all: uranium, possibly the world’s largest deposit.Not sure how big that reserve is but at this point the biggest known reserve is in Australia. The Soviets secretly mined the uranium, using only imported Russian workers, until they were chased back home in 1988.

snip--Taliban are Pashtun. They are citizens of Afghanistan. They have to have a place in our democracy.” That’s not what Uncle Sam wants to hear. President Barack Obama, the Drone Ranger, wants to convert Afghan forces into a kind of drone army, remotely controlled killers keeping the pot boiling.                                                                                                   

Afghans, however, have had enough of playing proxy in someone else’s war. And they see an opportunity to end the killing. It was taken as a matter of fact by all the Asian diplomats I met that, “The Taliban have been defeated” – militarily, that is; like the US army, they can’t advance or hold ground. They are facing fellow Pashtuns (Karzai is one, of course), not the Northern Alliance of minorities that once controlled their oppositon. The Taliban can’t party like it’s 1999.