cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

All for the want of a drop of oil.

No doubt everybody would have re3ad this in the NYT but I would like to make sure.  This story makes the US's self indulgence in providing freedom and liberty around the world, sound like a nursery rhyme.

PIBOR, South Sudan: The trail of corpses begins about 270 metres from the corrugated metal gate of the UN compound and stretches for miles into the bush.

There is an old man on his back, a young woman with her legs splayed, skirt bunched up around the hips and a whole family - man, woman, two children - all face down in the swamp grass, executed together.

South Sudan, born six months ago in great jubilation, is plunging into a vortex of violence. Bitter ethnic tensions that had largely been shelved for the sake of achieving independence have ruptured into a cycle of massacre and revenge.

10 Replies
rawhide
Advisor

Re: All for the want of a drop of oil.

why doesn't the australian military come save the day?

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

The size of our military would have trouble protecting a security van or a game of illegal cards. Apart from that, our fearless gneerals, etc take our orders from the WH.  We haven't got the nod to go yet.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Give Obama a call and explain the situation. He will give you permission.

rawhide
Advisor

so the country / continent of australia is freeloading off of the good ol' USA for their security. Maybe that is part of our national debt problems. Fork up some cash eh mate

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

It all comes back to the yanks wanting to maintain two spy bases in our land.  That was the trade off I suppose.  We are rather enjoying your military comforts in fact,  let your gung ho young marines spray their testosterone over the middle and we will make the coffee for them. We want some assistance, Uncle Sam comes a running.  Sounds a good deal to me.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Now I see why you want the dumrats to stay in control, can't take care of yourselves. Tell mommy to wipe your nose for ya.

hardnox604008
Advisor

Not to excuse my country's shortcomings and more than occasional hypocrisy on these matters but on this one I think you have to look at the PRC.

They certainly don't care who they do business with or who gets hurt if they're getting access to resources.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

I'm confused Gough.    You complain constantly about the U.S. and it foreign policy of intervening in other countries business but when it comes to your country being on the receiving end of Yank dollars then you say, "We want some assistance, Uncle Sam comes a running.  Sounds a good deal to me."

Sounds like voters wanting government spending cuts yet are perfectly happy when their Congressmen are able to bring home the bacon.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

"I'm confused Gough"  -  yep, that doesn't surprise me either.