cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: DDT and birds, SAm

Included in my post above was a link to testimony before congress.  Much of it deals with the effects of the ban, but if you read through it it deals with the claims about ddt harming wildlife.  It also contains annex's with supporting evidence.  A quick google search will turn up a great deal also, try that.  Honestly I thought it was already widely known and accepted fact that the claims about ddt were false.   

Its pretty much religion with some, don't people understand that lines of scientific inquiry often turn out false?

Veteran Advisor

Re: Re:If they think mankind cannot have an impact on nature

Yes the climate is always changing.

Where do you get the info about 'recent cooling'?

I understand many of the warmest recorded worldwide average temperatures have been in the past 10-15 years. I also have been hearing about how the year 2010 has been higher than average and setting new records for high average temps in different months so far.

Veteran Advisor

Al Gore has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not global warming is actually happening or not. The people of the right wing use him to squash any validity of the actual results of it. Yes, I think he was/is looking out for his own financial interests, and some of his solutions may be effective, but that also doesn't mean other solutions wouldn't be more effective.

Take Al out of the equation, and use science and history and also ongoing research/data collection to judge the merits of global warming, not political ideology and opposition to it.

Veteran Advisor

Re: DDT and birds, SAm

Will have to look at more info about it.

I was always under the impression that mammals were not impacted much by DDT.  Some question about reproductive impact.

The big problem as I understood it was to thinning bird shells.

Weighing risk to benefit many have argued that some areas of the world should use DDT. Malaria control being one of the good uses but those I have heard make that argument still do not advocate blanket use. That would indicate to me that they have some concerns about DDT safety overall.

Veteran Advisor

LOL, ergo: you are OK with a takeover of power of the citizens as long as Ronald Reagen DOES IT!

Typical right wing extremist logic.

Veteran Contributor

In your area is it setting record high temps? Because that is not the case in my area. Our local news reports record highs and lows in there news. 95% of the record highs were from 1915-1960. Very rarely do you see a record high in the 1990s. The only record we had this year was our rainfall. I believe last year we set record lows in temp. and had a below average high of temp for the year. explain that. I would say global warming could be more accepted when you have across the boards above average high temps for the world. I have not seen that yet.

Veteran Advisor

Re: Global averages acfarmer

Locally we have had a warm summer. Consistenly above average temperatures but no records but what I am referring to when I talk of Global temperatures is the averages from all over the globe.

So a quick look for a link to some of the comments I have heard on radio about this year being warmer right through on a global perspective found this from NASA http://climateprogress.org/2010/06/03/nasa-giss-james-hansen-study-global-warming-record-hottest-yea...   where the comment is

NASA makes it official:  We have set the 12-month record, just as CP pointed a few weeks ago (see “NASA: Easily the hottest April — and hottest Jan-April — in temperature record“) — and that is all the more powerful evidence of human-caused warming “because it occurs when the recent minimum of solar irradiance is having its maximum cooling effect,” as the paper notes.   This didn’t make a lot of news — see this tiny Bloomberg story — nothing compared to all the nonsensical stories about global cooling.

But will 2010 actually set the record for the hottest calendar year?  NASA explains:

It is likely that global temperature for calendar year 2010 will exceed the 2005 record, but that is not certain if a deep La Nina develops quickly.

http://climateprogress.org/2010/05/16/nasa-easily-the-hottest-january-and-hottest-jan-april-in-tempe...

where they comment on 2010 being the warmest so far and that the earth just set a new record for the 12 month running average. Just barely beat the old record BUT that old record was from 2007.

The links I am finding about the 'global cooling' are links that are "debunking the myth about global cooling"

They appear to be from reputable sites and several reference people who claim the trend is to cooler and point out that the trend is still higher although lately it has not risen as fast as the previous years. Rising at only 0.007C degrees per year instead of 0.515 degrees in 1998. But the trend is still up.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climatechange/policymakers/policy/slowdown.html

Veteran Contributor

Really Nasa? If I was to strongly going to base my case on something, I would find a source that isnt government funded.

(It is likely that global temperature for calendar year 2010 will exceed the 2005 record, but that is not certain if a deep La Nina develops quickly)

WHats this mean, weather patterns affect how warm it might get? So How do you prove true global warming. Im not a expert in this subject but it sounds like there are too many variables to come up with cold hard facts.

Veteran Advisor

Yes when the temperatures continue to get warmer year after year those are not"cold" hard facts.

But 'warm' facts should be important as a sign.

Veteran Contributor

You are basing this off NASA, really. I thought I read this year might not be warmer based of la nino weather patterns Whats that mean, weather patterns determine how warm it will be  duh. Which makes it hard to believe in global warming.. Sounds like a load  of manure to me. I can bet last year was not warmer than the year before. Come back with some non government findings . BTW  im not going to say there isnt GW which i said earlier, I just find alot of this is just people pushing panic buttons, lining there pockets with cash and exploiting GW.