cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Am I the only one that sees the irony.....

In a couple of Irishmen going off about the racial inferiorities of anyone?

My history books tell me about the English finding Ireland to be full of naked kids running around like savages and wondering if this was some sort of sub species.

Julius Caesar himself wrote about the entire English Isles as being populated by savages that didn't even recognize marriage, could not tell who their father was , and who lived in huts with communal wives. Was this right?

Also, at the time of the famine in the 1840's, the hordes of millions of Irish immigrants were not always welcome in America as they undercut the wages of people on the low end of the economic spectrum, notably people of color. The movie Blazing Saddles even has a joke about a western town agreeing to take the "N*gg*rs, the Ch*nks, but none of those @#$%ed Irishmen!!!" It is laughable now, but certainly wasn't any joke at the time.

Maybe the enmity of the Irish and the African Americans in America has some deep seated roots that won't go away very easily.

Well, I think it was wrong for the Irish to be treated like a sub species when that happened, and it is wrong for an African American to be talked about that way, too.

Some things are just WRONG.

8 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: Am I the only one that sees the irony.....

I'm quite sure that the  continental Europeans that you and the Scandinanvians that I descended from Red had their precedant day as savages also. Just a matter of timing in the ascent of civilized man. But we all came from something like that.  Good time  before spring work starts to pick up a copy of Guns, Germs and Steel and sharpen our grasp on that.

Do you take the Sunday Star-Tribune?  This was in it last wekend.  Wondering if Craig might not have some insight for us on it.  I knew about that war and how unpopullar it was and how the Taylor administration had pulled a Cheneyesque series of black flag Gulf of Tonkin/Remember the Maine like operations to get us to go to war, but wasn't aware of this story about the Irishmen who crossed over rather than abandon their deepest held beleifs and principles:

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentaries/198547501.html

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Germans did not even have a written language until about 1300AD, Bruce. The verbal language was made into a written language by Latin monks when the area became Christian territory. So you are not going to find any ancient German history...there simply isn't any.

The norse had a written language, and also a innate superiority instinct for their white skin. I have a turn of the century history book from my scandinavian grandmother that tells about how no race that didn't  have blue eyes and white skin has ever amounted to anything in the history of the world. Guess those norse must not have thought much about the dark skinned and dark eyed Jesus, either.

It would be a comic moment if these present yahoos were not so serious. Just shows that we still have a lot of work to do in the world.

bruce MN
Advisor

Maybe there was some s##t written down and they simply destroyed it in one of the post-Roman regimes/Reichs that coalesed or prevailed between then and now.  Smiley Happy

As for the Sandinavians, are you aware or been watching the History Channel series "The Vikings" which started in a few weeks ago.  Runs right after the series The Bible, which I  see has real high viewership (and a Satan who looks just like Obama, but then none of the chiseled brutes on The Vikings look like me).

So much of most ethnic heritage is myth and anecdote. Often, even, as the basis for humor or role playing as forged to make someone or other feel distinct and sometimes even special, that it should be easy for anyone to see that we're all molded out of the same clay, or for many, descended from the same monkey or planton or ameoba or whatever. 

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

I saw that in the news about the actor that looked like Obama playing Satan, but the story says that this actor has played Satan many times before, even before the presidency of BHO. Maybe your guys just found a guy that looked like Lucifer to attract the votes of the minions. Probably did a poll and found out hat was a winner!

hahahahaha

Faust100F
Advisor

Red!  Yeah!  But . . . we cannot help it, we had ten gallons of brains and they only had five gallons.  I mean . . . WTF!  I mean you need to go have a beer with "craigsbrother", he will fill you in on all that racial stuff.  

But I really do understand the thing about the Irish, after being married to a woman for 45 years who is half Irish and Catholic to boot, I really, really, understand why the Irish should never have been admitted to this country. LMAO!   John

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Funny about the wife, I hope you don't relay what I wrote to her, Faust. I actually really admire most of the Irish and America would not be the same without them. I just don't appreciate people type casting others on the basis of their skin color, or eye color for that matter.

I have blue eyes on both sides of my family tree, but I have a dark complexion, dark eyes, and I am sure that irish half wit thinks I have a five gallon brain, too, just because.

And the last thing I would do is encourage an Irishman to drink.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

@Red Steele wrote:

In a couple of Irishmen going off about the racial inferiorities of anyone?

My history books tell me about the English finding Ireland to be full of naked kids running around like savages and wondering if this was some sort of sub species.

Julius Caesar himself wrote about the entire English Isles as being populated by savages that didn't even recognize marriage, could not tell who their father was , and who lived in huts with communal wives. Was this right?

@Also, at the time of the famine in the 1840's, the hordes of millions of Irish immigrants were not always welcome in America as they undercut the wages of people on the low end of the economic spectrum, notably people of color. The movie Blazing Saddles even has a joke about a western town agreeing to take the "N*gg*rs, the Ch*nks, but none of those @#$%ed Irishmen!!!" It is laughable now, but certainly wasn't any joke at the time.

Maybe the enmity of the Irish and the African Americans in America has some deep seated roots that won't go away very easily.

Well, I think it was wrong for the Irish to be treated like a sub species when that happened, and it is wrong for an African American to be talked about that way, too.

Some things are just WRONG.

Me too comrade - I come from there as well.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re:It reminds me of the old joke

Why does Fort dodge have all the n'''''''s and we have all the norwegians. Because Fort dodge had the first choice!