cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Polaris Racer
Senior Contributor

Re: Amazing folks

Exactly! Without programs like the space program we would still be in the dark ages so to speak. Inventions happen that would never come to be without trying new things.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Rosetta was financed by the European Space Agency so it did not impact your funding for your poor, aged, unemployed or ill.

And Europe even has health care for all covered by government funding so maybe the US should get busy and build one too.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Just taking you at your word. I mean you know everything and you said that computers CAME from the space program!
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: What do you call 60 Minutes as a source, Bruce?

"We had to put man in space first..." I guess your kindergarten teacher should have spent more time on the "facts" of the space program. Does the name GAGARIN mean anything to you???
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Don.

Thought this might help with your thoughts on the cost of Rosetta.

Less than a movie ticket.

http://scienceogram.org/blog/2014/11/rosetta-comet-esa-lander-cost/

Like a lot of blue-skies science, it’s very hard to put a value on the mission. First, there are the immediate spin-offs like engineering know-how; then, the knowledge accrued, which could inform our understanding of our cosmic origins, amongst other things; and finally, the inspirational value of this audacious feat in which we can all share, including the next generation of scientists.

Whilst those things are hard to price precisely, in common with other blue-skies scientific projects, Rosetta is cheap. At €1.4bn, developing, building, launching and learning from the mission will cost about the same as 4.2 Airbus A380s—pretty impressive when you consider that it’s an entirely bespoke robotic spacecraft, not a production airliner. On a more everyday scale, it’s cost European citizens somewhere around twenty Euro cents per person per year since the project began in 1996.

Polaris Racer
Senior Contributor

I may not be as polished as you Bart but I am smarter than you think.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Re:Ok smarty pants

who invented the first computer and when? Hint: it wasn't Scott carpenter or Neil Armstrong.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Re: A little computer history

.computerhistory.org/timeline/?category=cmptr

Polaris Racer
Senior Contributor

Re: Re:Ok smarty pants

Kind of a loaded question because first and one that most could buy are different.  Commodore 64

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Re: Re:Ok smarty pants

The point being racer is that the computer was being created and perfected long before John kennedy started the space race.