cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

American Winter

I viewed this documentary last night about americans trying to survive in one city during the worst recession since the great depression. If you watch a screening it could alter your view point of those leading a troubled existance in todays america.

12 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: American Winter

It`s a vicious cycle, in making it "unlawful" for the poor to live in the only manner that they`re able.  Charge them a fine that they can`t afford, lock them in jail and send them a bill for their stay. 

http://www.thenation.com/article/178845/town-turned-poverty-prison-sentence

Sad, you betcha.

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Not only that, but (governmental) policies that are in place, that hinder them from being able to help themselves, and sometimes even hinder others from helping them (except for government aid).

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Husker-J Senior Contributor
1:35 PM
Not only that, but (governmental) policies that are in place, that hinder them from being able to help themselves, and sometimes even hinder others from helping them (except for government aid).

What a load of bollocks.
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Really?

Can you point out to me, a poverty-stricken area, where the citizens have been lifted out of poverty, due to increased government intervention?
If you go to most inner cities around the country, you will find entire neighborhoods, where people have been impoverished, and 'helped' by the government, only to remain in poverty, along with most of their children.  

Now, before you get all bent out of shape, and say I want the poor people to starve, that is not at all what I am saying.   What I am saying, is that the continual cycle of government aid to the poor, without any kind of incentive to be productive, or proper assistance to get training for productive jobs, has led to a continual cycle of dependance.   There are people who would like to raise themselves out of poverty, but don't know how, and the 'system' tends to make easier to stay where you are, than improve yourself.  Combine that, with a certain percentage of the population who are perfectly content to not do anything productive, as long as their basic needs are met (along with those that game the system, like the surfer dude who owns an Escallade, but has never had a job), and you have a more or less continual cycle of poverty in those areas.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

I am not sure if it has slipped your mind but have you noticed the GFC is still biting.  Also, it was created by the big money by lending to the poor to buy houses they couldnt afford and you say what the government is doing is keeping them poor?

Well lets progress to the alternatives and answers. What do you want the government to do with the massive unemployment? There is no jobs out there for them and if you think they will live on fresh air and sweet dreams, you are a mug. 

From your point, the problem is you have a little hangup about long term unemployed getting taxpayer money for nothing and nothing else.  If there are no jobs for them how are they supposed to get food, etc to survive?  I know you dont have the answers because I have pointed this out about 5 times on here to the numbskulls who just cant grasp the truth about why they are there.  It is OK for farmers to get massive subsidies for sitting on the butts and getting it under false pretences which should result in federal charges against them, but some poor blackfella in NO cant have any because you dont want him to get anything. That is the crux of your argument and it is pathetic.

Why do you think you republican godbotherers are the chosen few who should receive benefits without questions while passing judgements on others who you feel are inferior because they are poverty stricken?  You have no concept of how a government works for the long term benefit of a country especially the United States and that in itself is abhorrent.

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

@gough whitlam wrote:

I am not sure if it has slipped your mind but have you noticed the GFC is still biting.  Also, it was created by the big money by lending to the poor to buy houses they couldnt afford and you say what the government is doing is keeping them poor?

Which was encouraged by the government (the lending for houses people couldn't afford).  This is very well documented.  So, a housing bubble that was encouraged by the government, burst, and many poor people lost their houses, or at least a great amount of net worth when the bubble popped.   If you check carefully, you will see that the government bailed out one group of people, and not the other.   Do you think it was the 'big money' people, or the poor folks?  A perfect example of government policy, helping the super rich stay that way, not helping the poor get ahead, and spending a bunch of taxpayer money while doing it.

Well lets progress to the alternatives and answers. What do you want the government to do with the massive unemployment? There is no jobs out there for them and if you think they will live on fresh air and sweet dreams, you are a mug. 

No jobs?   Check out Mike Rowe's website, where he spells out where there are over 50K unfilled manufacturing jobs.   These are job openings that could be filled, at this very moment, if qualified people were to apply for them.   Go to the Dakotas, where they actually have a negative unemployment rate in some areas (there are more people with a full time job, plus another part-time job, than there are unemployed, or underemployed).  There is trash in the streets of cities that can't hardly afford to pay to have it picked up, while at the same time, pepole are getting paid to sit on their sofas and play their Xboxes.   How about a few hours a week, of doing something productive to society, instead of only draining it?

There are also, all sorts of construction jobs, that are being held up, due to government intervention (keystone pipeline - (or if you are anti big-oil because it harms the environment), there are also windmill farms that are on hold due to the possibility it may harm a bird or two (the State of California has abandon a couple under construction completely because of this), or Solar farms that are also on hold (because of concerns it will alter the habitat of a desert lizard) etc, etc.   In general, it seems where you have too much government intervention, you have less construction, less jobs in general, and more unemployment.   How does MORE of what stifles jobs, create more jobs?

From your point, the problem is you have a little hangup about long term unemployed getting taxpayer money for nothing and nothing else.  If there are no jobs for them how are they supposed to get food, etc to survive? 

So, there is NOTHING productive they could do?   They couldn't pick up trash, fill potholes, (as two simple examples) or anything like that?   Why not, if they are able bodied?   Are you saying that all our roadsides are clean, and all our streets and roads are pothole-free?

I know you dont have the answers because I have pointed this out about 5 times on here to the numbskulls who just cant grasp the truth about why they are there.  It is OK for farmers to get massive subsidies for sitting on the butts and getting it under false pretences which should result in federal charges against them, but some poor blackfella in NO cant have any because you dont want him to get anything. That is the crux of your argument and it is pathetic.

And yours is racist, and doesn't deserve any more comment than that.

Why do you think you republican godbotherers are the chosen few who should receive benefits without questions while passing judgements on others who you feel are inferior because they are poverty stricken?  You have no concept of how a government works for the long term benefit of a country especially the United States and that in itself is abhorrent.

I never said that they are inferior because they are poor.  Some of the most genuinely good people I know, are poor, and I belive are getting some form of assistance.   However, there are people, like the 'surfer dude' that was on TV a while back, that gets all his income from the government, never did a day's worth of work at a real job in his life, but still can afford to live on the beach, and drive a Cadillac Escallade. In an interview, he was asked if a $50,000 a year job could be found for him, would he take it, and he said he would rather live off the public dole, as he is doing now.   Those are the kind of people I look down on, not those who are simply 'poor'.

I belive I have a pretty good idea of how our government works to benefit people, and promoting a permanent underclass, a permanent privelaged class of people, and mountains of debt, is not the way to do it.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Non of your post does one thing to elevate the problem. Your quick fix of making them work will do wonders for your supremist ego but do you think that the government have not thought of it?

You can rattle on all day with the intricate details but the logistics of it not sound. There is a depression in your country and unemployment is a result. But fancy quoting mike Rowe as if he is the economic guru. Imagine that clown giving advice to Obama. Give me a break.
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Some people belive that the Great Depression was eneded by WWII.   Many others belive the Great Depression was already pretty much over, because of FDRs programs, in particular the Public Works Programs.   Note that it was Public Works, not Public gets paid to do no work Program.  It hinged on the theory that the government was in the best position to help those who were unemployed, and/or destitute, but it did not pay them to sit on the sofa and play solitaire.  Instead, it paid the able bodied to work, towards the general betterment of the country.   All I am saying, is that instead of paying people, to do nothing, why not give them some sort of work to do, where they can gain job experience, and necessary skills?   Instead of having to choose between supporting the destitute, or filling the potholes, why not have some of the out of work, help with it?   Ditto things like park maintanence, etc, etc.?

You can make fun of Rowe, all you want, but he (or his people) have done the research, and found over 50,000 unfilled manufacturing jobs.  These are jobs that could be filled immediately, if a qualified worker walked in the door.  This is just in manufacturing.   There are many more unfilled jobs, for people with the proper educations.   Google it, if you don't belive me.      What would the harm be, in sending them to classes to become qualified, instead of paying them for nothing?

I'll help, just google 50,000 unfilled manufacturing jobs.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Amw6e_Tq8pqYgpTX6DT4p0mbvZx4?fr=yfp-t-901-s&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/commentary/article/Manufacturing-jobs-going-unfilled-5111989.php

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/10/600000_manufacturing_jobs_go_unfilled_due_to_applicants_...

http://www.king5.com/news/business/25000-Washington-jobs-go-unfilled--New-study-shows-why-200139611....

http://www.plantengineering.com/single-article/web-article-100000-manufacturing-jobs-going-unfilled/...

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Will you be surprised, if I tell you there is just such a plan?? Guess where it is? Under, SFB, Boehners desk!! Where's the jobs, Boehner?? Dumbass!!

http://www.whitehouse.gov/economy/jobsact#sub2-tab