cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Re: American Winter

About 20 years ago this country experienced too much unemployment. The treasurer was approached to get the government to arrange for work programmes just to silence the likes of you who can't tolerate poor people getting money for nothing.

Investigations revealed after the government provided clothing, protective footwear, tools, equipment, transport, supervision, purchase of material to perform the work, workers compensation and insurance, it was ascertained the cheaper option was to pay them the SS. They eventually blended into society as the jobs appeared

That scenario wouldn't fit with your work ethic and personal agenda but in monetary terms after you complain about the government wasting money, gives the taxpayer the biggest bang for his buck. It also ignores the raging right who think they had a birth right to instigate all government policy based on personal agendas at their whim. It wasn't done when your man was there so why is it so important now?
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

What's the Senate bill # for this act?

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

1) Insurance costs should be nil.   The impoverished are already getting their health care/insurance paid for by the taxpayer.   Common sense tells me that it costs no more to insure a worker, than someone doing nothing.

2) Things like protective clothing, tools, etc, would be required by ANYONE who was filling potholes, whether it be a city worker, or a worker through a jobs works program.   Again, I can't see how that would cost so much more, except that someone actually doing work, might wear a hole in their jeans quicker than someone sitting on the sofa.   As for transportation, the city buses are running anyway.   Just give these workers a pass to get them to and from work.   How much more could that cost, unless the government is so inefficient that it couldn't handle something that simple.

3)When Bush was in office, there were about half the unemployed, as there are now.   If you had been paying attention, I have ALWAYS wanted some form of 'responsibility' on the shoulders of those getting public assistance, whether it be schooling, job training, or some form of community service.   This isn't a new idea, but rather something that has been PROVEN to work in the past, but for some reason are now too draconian (see Bill Clinton's Welfare Reforms).

4) If I were you, I really wouldn't want to get into an argument, over whether the left, or the right, tries to insigate government policy based on personal agendas or whim.   Right now, we have had dozens of changes just to the ACA law, all on a whim, without one line of actual legislation.   I could go on about who has done things like bans on fried foods, large sodas, etc, etc.