cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Angelina Jolie opts for a double masectomy

A Preventive measure as her mother died at age 56 from breast cancer. Doctors told her that her genetic makeup gives her an 87% chance of developing breast cancer.

Take good care of your mrs. She is way more important than her boobies even though I am a fan of boobies. You can help her with regular examinations.

8 Replies
hardnox604008
Advisor

Re: Angelina Jolie opts for a double masectomy

We have a friend who made the same choice- actually in her case they had found a small tumor that could have been treated with a lumectomy but she looked at her genetic odds and decided to go with a double masectomy.

My wife is the source of the following intelligence- for reconstruction she chose some nice middle of the road 34C's. Having discretely observed the results I'd give two thumbs up.

An everyday modern medical miracle for someone who certainly deserves to live a long healthy life and she doesn't have to feel disfigured in any way.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

My wife was just screened and they found a lump. The tests (done a week later) showed it was benign. That was a relief. I think many of us have these kind of stories these days. I am so happy that they have come so far with reconstructive surgery and being able to0 detect problems in the first place. I had a good friend that lost her battle with breast cancer about eight years ago....so sad.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Sadly too many women don't face up to the symptoms and put off an aggresive response far too long. I suppose the thought of surgery and disfigurement would give them pause.

Samnospam
Advisor

I'm just sad for you Don that you had to take the same route to head off testicular cancer.  Smiley Surprised

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@kraft-t wrote:

Sadly too many women don't face up to the symptoms and put off an aggresive response far too long. I suppose the thought of surgery and disfigurement would give them pause.

There is another reason for delay Don.

It was pointed out in the news here that the genetic test cost Jolie $3,000.

In Ontario it is covered by our health care for people with incidents in their ancestors to warrant the test.

the surgery and reconstructive surgery is also fully covered.

I suggest many in your country can not afford the necessary tests and care.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

No need to keep them around if you aren't gonna use them.

Samnospam
Advisor

Saw this the other day and thought of you. http://www.longwoods.com/content/18839
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@Samnospam wrote:
Saw this the other day and thought of you. http://www.longwoods.com/content/18839

Try this again. last post to this did not show up.

There have been any number of studies and articles about how medicare is not affordable in Canada and no doubt there are always changes that need to be made to keep the costs in check.

There is a difference between our 2 countries in how to keep costs in line since your care is more expensive those with little finacial resources do without and so your overall costs may be less because of rationing to those who have the $$.

In Canada everyone can get care and although individual treatments may be less costly the total bill may be more because everyone is eligible for care.

I do know that if I travel to your country I have to buy insurance to pay the additional cost of treatment in the US.

Our insurance will only rebate me to the Canadian rates which are less than US costs for most treatments.