Did you mean: 
GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Re: Another 1000+ Point Drop In DOW

JENNY! DAMN THAT OBAMA!! LOL!!

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

canuck, how much HIGHER is the Dow today than it was November 8, 2016? 

bruce MN
Advisor

As a starting point of reference, it was 7,949 on January 20th 2009.

rodgersfarms56
Senior Contributor

Yay!! How much more before investors move investments to the commodity market??
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Edmund; one was the advisory service I have for ag marketing. Not their field and they usually do not comment about stock markets but just the ag markets However about a week before things turned around they made the pointer anyone in the stock market to assess their situation and take some profits out before it turned around.

How good are your market forecasters 

The service I subscribe to says no one can hit the top all the time but they try to NOT sell when it is down and make enough sales above average to outdo the rest.

Conservative marketing and obviously more knowledgeable about markets than your dear leader.

Edmund55
Senior Contributor

(Edmund; one was the advisory service I have for ag marketing. Not their field and they usually do not comment about stock markets but just the ag markets However about a week before things turned around they made the pointer anyone in the stock market to assess their situation and take some profits out before it turned around.)

I hope you'll understand my skepticism in that "your" advisory service predicted anywhere close to a 3000 point sell-off a week ago. What are they saying this week that we should do next week?  I've been saying for 4 years now that the stock market is over valued and that there will be a correction - I guess you would call me knowledgeable as I nailed itSmiley Wink

(How good are your market forecasters 

The service I subscribe to says no one can hit the top all the time but they try to NOT sell when it is down and make enough sales above average to outdo the rest.)

Your service and and every market forecaster ever all say this.

(Conservative marketing and obviously more knowledgeable about markets than your dear leader.)

Go ahead and post whom these genius's are so I can see just how knowledgeable they are over a period of time.

hardnox
Advisor

The last several thousand points up was phony- based on momentum and risky low vol strategies.

All we've done so far is take that back.

But  it is fair to assume that when these things unwind you'll get a similar overreaction to the downside before the market finds a more rational equilibrium.

Impossible to know how it plays out but may not turn out to be the worst timing for Trump. The bubble was going to pop and probably better that it didn't get more out of control and pop later. I don't see any reason to expect that economic activity won't continue to be decent for a while and the market will probably be here or lower but not a disaster by any means.

Or I could be wrong.

Still think it is a brick out of the wall for Trump's claims, though.

basset&co
Senior Contributor

those aren't necessarily Losses, see what being on the other side is like...   HAHAHA

hardnox
Advisor

The smartest people

The top coming in the middle of a strong earning season is problematic for corporate managers.

Many had no doubt pushed their discretionary tactics very had in order to print good profit numbers and keep up with their peers. They may end up having to back some of that out in future quarters with their stocks already at lower levels.

It isn't that they're dumb, they're acting rationally in a system with hugely asymmetric risk/reward. You don't make the stock go up they find someone who will. You make it go up and you cash huge incentives.

In the age of bubbles, managers have typically used crashes as Allie, Allie all in Free time where they can dump in all the bad stuff because "whocouldthunkit" then get back to managing expectations and price higher.

hardnox
Advisor

oh no

Couldn't even hold a tepid bounce for an hour?