cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Another whopper from Liars R' Us

that S. Korea was successful in stopping the virus because not being free they had options at their disposal that The Home of the Free doesn't.

They actually rank higher than the US on indexes of personal and press freedom- a matter that we should be proud of because we seeded and nurtured it.

They had the same information from China as we did and our first reported cases were the same day. They just didn't get lucky with SARS- which we did- and were prepared for the next time. 

6 Replies
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: Another whopper from Liars R' Us

That was the reason, experience from SARS, so they built a plan and had it ready to implement then they did not pause they put it in action.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

As I recall, the Toronto and BC regions had some SARS?

BTW, it might have behooved The Exceptional Nation to have learned something the cheap and easy way.

I hope somebody has Trump’s tweets from when he was sniping  at Obama about Ebola from the cheap seats.

rsbs
Advisor

Does it really matter?

Ron Howard has  a nice touch on getting in the human element when directing movies. One of my personal favorites is the job he did on "The Alamo", a film that was going no where and way over budget when they hired Mr. Howard to try and salvage what he could of the mess.

There is a subplot of animosity between the Jim Bowie character, famous for his huge phallic symbol of what a knife should be, and the dandy James Travis, a 26 yr old that is the putative commander of the beleaguered Texans. They don't like each other....guys from different walks of life, guys with different values. The men really look to Jim Bowie as the leader, and rightly so, even as the guy is dying of some type of consumption.

Young Travis, in the movie at least, picks up a cannonball that was fired in and didn't explode and brings it to one of his one artillery units and tells them to fire it back and earns some respect. He then delivers a tear jerking speech of what Texas and a clean start has meant to him, and how he is going to stay and die to slow Santa Anna down and buy time for his friends to put an army together, and how the rest can either stay with him , and  most likely die too, or leave during the cover of night. I have been to the Alamo, and a plaque there details this, and notes that only one French man leaves...a survivor of the European Napoleonic wars, who had seen all the death and killing  he wants to. My buddy that was with me said, sounds like there was only one smart one in the bunch.

After the speech, Ron Howard has Lt. Travis go to a bed ridden Bowie to tell him what he has told the men, and Bowie says he knows..he listened...he heard every word. Tells him that they were good words...something that they all needed to hear. Later on, Travis and Bowie become sort of friends, and when Travis apologizes for some of the stuff he had said earlier, Bowie asks him if it really matters.

Many of us are probably going to die from this Wuhan flu virus. Just saw that a 51 woman died on the way to the hospital in SD, within six hours of developing symptoms. I am putting together a will this morning....I have no knowledge whether or not it's my time or not but I want my wishes to be in writing before I pass and my family to know what should be done.

Maybe the biggest thorn in your side right now is Mr. Trump and his brash NY ways. Maybe you hate Republicans and love Communism. Maybe you just don't have enough fiber in your diet....hell, I don't know. It's your deal. But my question to you is...

Does it really matter?

cmilligan1958g
Senior Contributor

Re: Does it really matter?

@rsbs wrote:

Ron Howard has  a nice touch on getting in the human element when directing movies. One of my personal favorites is the job he did on "The Alamo", a film that was going no where and way over budget when they hired Mr. Howard to try and salvage what he could of the mess.

There is a subplot of animosity between the Jim Bowie character, famous for his huge phallic symbol of what a knife should be, and the dandy James Travis, a 26 yr old that is the putative commander of the beleaguered Texans. They don't like each other....guys from different walks of life, guys with different values. The men really look to Jim Bowie as the leader, and rightly so, even as the guy is dying of some type of consumption.

Young Travis, in the movie at least, picks up a cannonball that was fired in and didn't explode and brings it to one of his one artillery units and tells them to fire it back and earns some respect. He then delivers a tear jerking speech of what Texas and a clean start has meant to him, and how he is going to stay and die to slow Santa Anna down and buy time for his friends to put an army together, and how the rest can either stay with him , and  most likely die too, or leave during the cover of night. I have been to the Alamo, and a plaque there details this, and notes that only one French man leaves...a survivor of the European Napoleonic wars, who had seen all the death and killing  he wants to. My buddy that was with me said, sounds like there was only one smart one in the bunch.

After the speech, Ron Howard has Lt. Travis go to a bed ridden Bowie to tell him what he has told the men, and Bowie says he knows..he listened...he heard every word. Tells him that they were good words...something that they all needed to hear. Later on, Travis and Bowie become sort of friends, and when Travis apologizes for some of the stuff he had said earlier, Bowie asks him if it really matters.

Many of us are probably going to die from this Wuhan flu virus. Just saw that a 51 woman died on the way to the hospital in SD, within six hours of developing symptoms. I am putting together a will this morning....I have no knowledge whether or not it's my time or not but I want my wishes to be in writing before I pass and my family to know what should be done.

Maybe the biggest thorn in your side right now is Mr. Trump and his brash NY ways. Maybe you hate Republicans and love Communism. Maybe you just don't have enough fiber in your diet....hell, I don't know. It's your deal. But my question to you is...

Does it really matter?

Narrator:
The Martians had no resistance to the bacteria in our atmosphere to which we have long since become immune. Once they had breathed our air, germs, which no longer affect us, began to kill them. The end came swiftly. All over the world, their machines began to stop and fall. After all that men could do had failed, the Martians were destroyed and humanity was saved by the littlest things which God and His wisdom had put upon this Earth.

With all that is going on, this famous quote from H. G. Wells, "War of the Worlds" has come to mind, a lot, lately. 

rsbs
Advisor

Re: Does it really matter?

Hi Craig,

That is pretty startling, the HG Wells quote, and how he was so aware of what a bacterial infection could do to organizations not prepared for it.

Listening to our congressman Jim Hagedorn on my telephone right now in a  live townhall meeting where people are calling in with questions, and he has staff on board helping him answer them. Jim, as you may know, is battling cancer too, and is bravely soldiering on to do his congressional duties. We are lucky to have him as a representative.

We have enough negative nellies out there, it is nice to hear some positive news and the things that are being done.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Just Toronto i think.

Around 3 dozen died, several were doctors and nurses dealing with the original patients.

I think the death rate was around 10%