cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Any predictions on the SOTU address?

Will it be a more civil atmosphere than last year.

Mine would be that it's going to have an 1850s mood about it.  Only now elevised facial expressions and body language rather than colorful newspaper accounts will be the big story.  Obama emboldened and needing to shore up his populist base.  Willing to risk alientating the Warbucks and Gekko crowd in doing so.  Republican response will have to play to the ever shrinking wing-nut base, as the candidates have been doing across the south, in this new round of  make it up as you go " Southern strategy".

He might even apologize to the nation for being so naive as to think that a bridge of olive branches to the opposition was going to hold up.

Between the lines of the speech and the responses from the member on the talking heads shows just might be a declaration of political war.

Which, of course, will be nothing but a total mess for the Democrats if he and his adminstration don't follow up with something other than turning around tommorow morning and asking the banksters and plutocrats  "Now that  that little bit is over, what can we do for you today?" 

If he talks it he needs to be prepared to walk it.  The fuse of forgiveness has been long from his supporters.  But that's mostly because of the fact that they were only expecting him to do things that they thought he might do, in the assuredness if nothing else that the Republicans weren't going to do those things.  Now if he build any kind an actual list, he's going to have to fight for everything he has on it.  I'm not sure he posseses  the right instincts or the character to do that.

12 Replies
GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Re: Any predictions on the SOTU address?

Good post, bruce. Two things that stuck out for me, is the statement, "I'm not sure he possesses the right instincts or the character to do that."

I don't believe there is a politian that doesn't have the instincts, it is unclear to me if he has the character. What he is going to face from the fanatics on the right is going to be withering, they are going to call him ugly phrase they think will alienate the voters to him.

One thing I can't wait for, is to finally hear something tonight besides the caterwalling, hand wringing of the Republicans and their candidates. Same old Sh!T, different day! Same old tired and failed ideas!? Sick bunch of clowns.

Samnospam
Advisor

I'm guessing it will be as if it were 2009.   You'll have to forget what's been (or not been) done over the last three years to keep from laughing.

bruce MN
Advisor

What's to laugh about ?

r3020
Senior Advisor

It is Bush's fault along with the extremist baggers and do nothing congress.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

You need to ask boehner.  He has already, without hearing it, called it "pathetic".  He certainly has an open    AND empty mind!

Samnospam
Advisor

wehav
Senior Contributor

Obama's lips will be moving and lies will be emanating.  If the teleprompter dies he will quit talking.  ABC, CBS, NBC and MSNBC will fawn over whatever he says. 

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

Will it be a more civil atmosphere than last year.

Mine would be that it's going to have an 1850s mood about it.  Only now elevised facial expressions and body language rather than colorful newspaper accounts will be the big story.  Obama emboldened and needing to shore up his populist base.  Willing to risk alientating the Warbucks and Gekko crowd in doing so.  Republican response will have to play to the ever shrinking wing-nut base, as the candidates have been doing across the south, in this new round of  make it up as you go " Southern strategy".

He might even apologize to the nation for being so naive as to think that a bridge of olive branches to the opposition was going to hold up.

Between the lines of the speech and the responses from the member on the talking heads shows just might be a declaration of political war.

Which, of course, will be nothing but a total mess for the Democrats if he and his adminstration don't follow up with something other than turning around tommorow morning and asking the banksters and plutocrats  "Now that  that little bit is over, what can we do for you today?" 

If he talks it he needs to be prepared to walk it.  The fuse of forgiveness has been long from his supporters.  But that's mostly because of the fact that they were only expecting him to do things that they thought he might do, in the assuredness if nothing else that the Republicans weren't going to do those things.  Now if he build any kind an actual list, he's going to have to fight for everything he has on it.  I'm not sure he posseses  the right instincts or the character to do that.

It is not that the "fuse of forgiveness has been long from his supporters", it is because he is the only game that you on the Left have.  Just like we were stuck with bush, you guys are stuck with the community organizer puppet of "Mr. Big & Company".

There will probably be a few "boos" and snickers offered to Zero from the opposition.

One thing is for sure.... If Zero strays from the "Mr. Big" approved teleprompter script prepared for him, Zero will not even be around to run for re-election this fall.  He will be sitting around the "campfire" with Sen. Paul Wellstone.  Smiley Frustrated

bruce MN
Advisor

Everybody knows that already. 

I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas of how he might be going to exploit it.