cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Are we at the point now

Where we honor corporate raiders that break up the business, break labor contracts, sell corporate assets and profit handsomely?

I suppose to your right wing friends this is an ideal situation in that we crushed and another labor union and replaced them with lower wage people. I guess lower wages are always better than higher if you are anti labor.

Now assume those folks in the worker class were all opposed to $6 corn and did their part to depress the corn price and encouraged the multinational grain companies to depress our prices. Would you be in favor of that? Would you pick the CEO of cargill to run as president.

Why in the world would labor ever support a Romney type business man?

8 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Are we at the point now

There ARE enough jerks that opposed to +$6 corn, you can read all about `em on the market page.  There are fools that fight tooth and nail against Ethanol, they got the 45¢ ethanol credit taken away, still they aren`t happy. Don`t kid yourself Don there are tons out there waiting for the farmer to fall on his face.  Why would a working man or woman support Mitt Romney?   For a job for starters,Mitt understands better how to grow the economy given the flawed perameters that it operates under.  Even Ron Paul worships at the alter of free trade, Mitt is thee only one that has said he would grab China by the throat. Mitt has said that he would be a "one termer" because of the hard choices that he would make, I think if he really shows he has those guts he will win re-election by a landslide! 

Veteran Advisor

The happiest factory workers I personally know, work in a 'non union' shop.  Several of them have come from 'union' States, and except for the one who complains that here, they expect you to actually WORK for your paycheck, they all prefer where they are now, to the union shop.

Advisor

Could be, a few years ago we were at the point where we honored someone who had never done a damh thing. Maybe honor is not what we're doing.
Senior Contributor

Not that I am trying to defend Romney, but I heard a piece on the much hated NPR that basically explained his former business. He was in the equities business. What happens there is that the firm buys a business, props it up often through investment so it will basically be worth more money and then they sell the business to someone else. What happens to the business after that is not their concern. Nothing matters much more to equities firms than making a profit. Many retirement funds invest in equities such as this because they generally have been OK investments and is a way to diversify the portfoleo. I am not sure whether equities firms like Unions or not, but they probably don't care if it does not hinder making a profit and being able to sell the business.

What Romney did wrong is to claim he created 100,000 jobs. Equities firms do not track jobs in any shape or form. They track profit only - it is all about money, period. So Romney is just blowing hot air with his job statistics claims.

Some of the claims of job losses because of Romney's firm are bogus because what happens after the sale is not truly something that can be blamed on the equities firm. I am sure some businesses were ruined or closed because they were not going to turn a profit when sold or investments in that business were ineffective. It's all a money game. Jobs are created and jobs are lost.

Senior Advisor

Yeah I agree. I grab my banker by the throat and bring him to his knees. Yup China would respond like that. NOT!

Most of those that want lower corn prices are your conservative friends that run cow calf herds or feed lots. They p and moan about $6 corn but said nary a word when it was $2 and lower.

Mitt knows nothing about running a business. They buy companies and guts them and make money doing it.

Honored Advisor

Well Don, if I owe the bank $500,000 and can`t pay then I have a problem, if the US government owes China $1.5 Trillion and can`t pay ..then China has a problem Smiley LOL   We have alot more leverage with our foreign lenders than you might think.  I would say "Look here buddy boy, we`re gonna have to change this crap right now! The gravy days for you Chinamen is over!  If you sent us $1 in goods, you`d damned well better be buying $1 in goods from us!".  And Mitt Romney is the only one even mildly moving in that direction.  It`s time that the grown ups take charge here!

Advisor

how are they going to buy anything from us when everything they want is made over there?
Honored Advisor

You are spot on Rawhide. How long would a farm opperation last if they bought fertilizer and seed that amounted to 2 or 3 times the amount of grain that they sold? It would strictly be a sundown opperation.  Mitt Romney has a huge heart he gave a unemployed gal $150 out of his own wallet.

http://gma.yahoo.com/romney-gives-unemployed-woman-cash-ropeline-233341069--abc-news.html?bcmt=13266...