cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

As a Republican

Do you believe in raising the wages of any worker or are they all over paid? It appears to me that all most all of you think everyone is over paid. Nebfarmer only knows one minimum wage worker and he is over paid. He simply makes that casual observation all by himself.

Obviously the employer in this case disagrees with neb farmer because the worker is still employed.

I wonder what gives you folks the ability to determine worth of what someone else does. Most of the people have jobs with specific responsibilities and are comensated for those efforts. Yet You (whoever you are) are able to look from  afar without knowing the details and have the amazing power to determine what their value is as an employee.

That is an amazing characteristic to has that sense of evaluation form a distance. Or is it just an ingrained philosophy that the high cost of production is always due to excessive labor costs. Do you think that high profits in business results in higher pay for workers? That is what it sounds like. That those employers with good profits magically become generous to their employees. I don't think that is the case at all and I provide walmart as an example.

This is a bit of a challenge to the gospel of the trickle down theory. It just doesn't work that way.

81 Replies

Re: As a Republican

you rent your farm to a guy for 2012 only and the price of corn is 6.50 and then for some reason the  market goes to $12.00 so for 2013 you want $200 more per acre for rent so aren't you telling the farmer how much he can make too? just a thought

r3020
Senior Advisor

Does the same hold true for business owners or the CEO charged with the task of running them?

Democratforlife
Senior Contributor

I want every wage earner to earn as much as possible. The sky is the limit. But, government should not be in the business of telling a business owner how much to pay their employee. Let the market decide that amount. Let employees compete against each other to earn as much as they can.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I don't rent my farm out. I hire a custom operator to do the field work. Plus if I have a highly profitable year, I do not raise his pay level. I don't beleive in trickle down either.

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Democrats don't lie, they just hide the truth.

He is not my nephew. He is my cousin. He gets paid what he wants according to the iowa rates. There is no notion that he will ever get to rent the ground. Like any other custom operator, his only guarantee is that he will get paid for what he does.

Don't tell me that you are one of those renters that think you got an option to buy along in your lease.  If anyone want a lenghty right to farm a piece of ground they better buy it because leasing and custom farming is no more than a temporary arrangement.

I can change operators at the end of every year. Just like you can change fertilizer suppliers or seed corn companies. Not that I will but there is no permanence or implied permanence in the agreement

Re: Democrats don't lie, they just hide the truth.

how do we know you are paying a good wage? ( according to your argument on minimum wage)

wehav
Senior Contributor

As a thinking person I believe that the market should determine wages.  It's both ridiculous and stupid to have wages set by an arbitrary outside the market force.

We don't do that with any other commodity.  Labor is a commodity.  If you have a skilled worker he/she is worth more than a high school drop out.  The only benefit to a mandatory minimum wage is political hay for Democrats who keep people on different plantations.

The minimum wage is a joke, It isn't paid to illegals and it shouldn't be paid to kids just learning how to do a job.  If anything it's one of the many destructive social engineering programs that liberals promote. Do they realize they are destroying the work ethic of America?  Probably.  Kids that can't get jobs because they aren't worth minimum wage don't get jobs later.  People that believe working for a minimum wage is sufficient will never attain their potential or work harder to improve.

The basic reason for increasing the minimum wage is to raise government union wages.  Most of them use the minimum wage increase as an excuse to get a higher wage.  The logic is unassailable, if ignorant, uneducated and unskilled people are worth X then skilled workers should be worth X +. 

dagwud
Senior Contributor

"I want every wage earner to earn as much as possible. The sky is the limit. But, government should not be in the business of telling a business owner how much to pay their employee."

I would say that sums it up quite well.

Don, should the government dictate to you how much you must pay a custom operator?