cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Democratforlife
Senior Contributor

Re: As a Republican

If Kraft is honest when he answers your question, he should say, yes. But, we all know he is not a honest person. Hence his name.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

If I had my guess, wages would be generally higher than the government's version of minimum wage if the market were to determine the wage. Many, many employers have to pay higher than minimum just to attract the type of employees with the skills and abilities they desire. I'm an employer. I know. We don't pay minimum wage because at that level, we can't attract a qualified/experienced worker in any job we offer.

As a Republican...., nay, as a human being, I try my best to help those around me to better themselves.  That homeless former band kid that we took in last winter has made it and now is in an apartment and pulling himself up by his own bootstraps, now.

We helped find him a job, helped him get a driver's license and set some goals.  He helps me at the farm when he has free time and I pay him for his work.

If everyone would try to do the same with someone who just needs someone to show them the way, the world's problems would be so much smaller and the government dole only be used very rarely.

I would much rather spend my money in my own way to help others than to have it extracted by force by some bureaucrat to buy power in HIS own way.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Do you mean that a highschool drop out can't be a skilled worker?? If you do, you are full of scheisse! Left to their own devises, management would pay whatever they could get away with. Minimum wages are the bare minimum to stay out of poverty and the businesses, unfortunately, need to be forced to pay that for the most part. Kids that can't do the job don't stay at that job whether they are paid minimum wage, $10/hr or $1/hr!. You seem to think companies do what is right for the employee--they don't! They only do what they are MADE to do!!
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

They already do. The FSA has the prices for each kind of rent for farm operations. Of course you don't have to pay that but you won't find any operator who will take less than what FSA says is the norm.
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Do they realize they are destroying the work ethic of America  -   Not so.   If the system of labor was a commodity, as you  say, what wages would you think the workers of the US would be on now?  The big guys would crucify them down to the level of an inuit tribesman.  Is that what you christians think of your fellow man?   What the problem is most people chose to live the lifestyle they choose and work there also.  Often that is not a good paying job and farming is a great example.  They look over the fence at Joe blogs and he is making twice as much as them working for some **bleep** flogging fat cat and consequently, he gets jealous.  Next think he says the wages are too high and the beat goes on. . Sould familiar????????????

r3020
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:
Do you mean that a highschool drop out can't be a skilled worker?? If you do, you are full of scheisse! Left to their own devises, management would pay whatever they could get away with. Minimum wages are the bare minimum to stay out of poverty and the businesses, unfortunately, need to be forced to pay that for the most part. Kids that can't do the job don't stay at that job whether they are paid minimum wage, $10/hr or $1/hr!. You seem to think companies do what is right for the employee--they don't! They only do what they are MADE to do!!

Then we need to make every company not only pay minumim wage but also provide every employee with a car and fuel to get to work and a house to go home to when they leave work.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

To clarify, I didn't say he was overpaid. I said he doesn't do enough work to justify even minimum wage. I'm sure if you want to hire him at $50 an hour with room and board, he'd be willing to relocate. Just so you know, he is a marijuana smoking alcoholic, who's totaled two viechles driving drunk on a suspended lisence, putting a girl in intensive care. He ONLY works because the judge said if he doesn't have gainful employment, he goes to jail, so an uncle who pities him, hired him, for minimum wage. Now that you know the details, what starting wage are you willing to pay him? $50, $60 an hour? I will stand by my original statement, he does not do enough to earn minimum wage. The uncle has him sweep up, and has to go behind him. The uncle hopes he can straighten this guy out, and I do too, but as of right now, that is the situation. I would argue that the government meddling in wages is actually determining the worth of what someone else does from afar, instead of letting the employer, and employee negotiate the wages, and conditions. I ask the question again, how many adults do you know, than earn only minimum wage? I only know of one, and I gave the details above. I'll be waiting for an answer.
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

If the government should set minimum wages, should they also set maximum wages, up to and including how much 'profit' you can make selling your corn, or tha maximum you can sell your farm for? Should there be a maximum net worth you can have, before you need to 'spread it around'? If you rent out a second, third, or fourth house, should the government determine how much rent you can charge?
man of steel
Senior Contributor

@Nebrfarmr wrote:
I would argue that the government meddling in wages is actually determining the worth of what someone else does from afar, instead of letting the employer, and employee negotiate the wages, and conditions.

You got it Neb. But don't expect a change in his beliefs. His conflicting belief in the almighty government is never going to be changed