cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

As many as 59 million without health insurance

Many of them do not get health care. Plus many others choose not to spend their precious dollars on health care. Even folks with insurance have large deductibles and opt to save the money for other things. Such as rent and house payments or other consumer goods such as food.

Another group that fail to get health care are those that cannot afford to take time off to got to a doctors office. Late night and weekend  medicare is mostly emergency room service. Most clinics or doctors offices are not open weekends or nights.

There are some urgent care facilities springing up in the cities but their capabilities are limited. Often their clients are sent to emergency rooms. Emergency rooms a re packed and waiting time of 8 hours is not unusual. That is if your condition is not life threatening. My 90 year old mother in law had to wait 8 hours to be seen by a doctor in an emergency ward. Medical crisis does not always occur at regular hours.

People that think everyone gets healthcare are sorely uninformed. They are not looking very hard if that what they see. The very first thing the clinics and hospitals ask for is insurance cards. I have cards but what do people do that don't have cards. Most offices require payment or proof of insurance before you get treated.

I don't know what happens to impoverished folks or low income folks but a lot of them don't go to the doctor at all because they are avoiding doctor bills. The result being that medical conditions are not treated until the condition is critical. 

35 Replies
dagwud
Senior Contributor

Re: As many as 59 million without health insurance

"I don't know what happens to impoverished folks or low income folks."   I would think they would qualify for Medicare for the adults and free insurance depending on the income or no more then $20 per month for their children with Iowa's Hawkeye Plan.  According to their web site a family of four qualifies if they make under  $44,100 a year or under $51,580 for a family of five.  It covers prescription drugs, dentist and optometrists as well.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

"I don't know what happens to impoverished folks or low income folks"   I believe you don't and may not care.  I have a young lady down road whose husband left her with two children under 6  I clean her drive  help with her old car.  She recieves stamps child helth care and works a part time job.  In conversation I have asked if she feels ashamed getting any form of govt to help out,   she says no more than what a farmer should feel.   Strugles monthy to take care of children the best she can with as usual people looking down their noses making snide remarks behind back. 

r3020
Senior Contributor

I guess that 59 million includes ILLEGAL aliens.

r3020
Senior Contributor

BTW, if Obama care is such a great thing why have they issued over 200 exemptions?

4wd
Senior Contributor

Why will Obama care end this? What makes Obama care more affordable than no insurance?

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

r3020
Senior Contributor

@Hawken Cougar wrote:

@r3020 wrote:

BTW, if Obama care is such a great thing why have they issued over 200 exemptions?

Same reason that members of Congress aren't covered by Obamacare?

Obama care is not about the 59 million [like to know where that number came from] with out health insurance. It's not about making health care affordable, it is about making us MORE dependent on the United States Federal Government. He who controls the checkbook controls the people.

wehav
Senior Contributor

oh really

"she says no more than what a farmer should feel."

Are you sure those are her words?

What exactly does she produce besides children?  Does she feed the nation and a large share of the world?

tomexrepub
Senior Contributor

ronnie baby, I think I figured out who you listen to for your talking points.  wish you would learn to think for yourself instead of listening to levin.  but I have been asking you to do that for the last couple of years and you continue to be a parrot of the extreme right talking heads.   a fool just never learns.