cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

At any other time in the past few centuries,,,,,

....there would be war in Europe by this stage of the game.

This is quite long, but the jist of it can be picked up by scanning and reading a bit here and there:

http://www.counterpunch.org/hudson06032011.html

3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: At any other time in the past few centuries,,,,,

I pulled this out of the article.

"The Greeks refused to surrender quietly. Strikes spread from the public-sector unions to become a nationwide “I won’t pay” movement as Greeks refused to pay road tolls or other public access charges. Police and other collectors did not try to enforce collections. "

I seem to remember that it has been said that tax evasion in Greece is so bad that if all were collected they would not have a debt crises.

There is a large % of taxes unpaid in a number of countries that could solve quite a few debt problems.

Indeed the US has a good chunk of $$ that slip away but seems to me your government has made an effort to go after these cheats by increasing the people and resources to collect.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Here is another interesting article on 25 tax cheats that all have something in common.  They are all elected officials.  They even use a point system to rate the top 25 offenders.

Tax Scofflaws

Highlighted

Maybe we got something after all from the $trillions we spent on NATO over the past 6 decades.

As much as anything, it kept all the tribes from building their own standing armies.

Like Mao said about the success of the French Revolution, though, too early to tell.