cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

Australia and flooding

I see North Eastern Australia is lined up for another rain storm.

A cyclone is racing toward Australia's flood-ravaged northeast, rattling nerves throughout a region that has already suffered billions of dollars worth of damage from the crisis.

Cyclone Anthony intensified to a Category 2 storm Sunday with winds of 130 km/h. It was expected to cross the Queensland state coast early Monday morning.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/30/australia-weather.html#ixzz1CWhZKwP4

Monday gets there sooner than it does here.

If you want to watch the flash flood in Toowoomba there is a video here

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=kYUpkPTcqPY

Be carefull where you park.

11 Replies
gough whitlam
Advisor

Re: Australia and flooding

It crossed the coast without much damage other than nerves damaged from the last dowpour.  Very hot here, around the 40 most days.  Great painting weather.

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

Dodged that one and now I see they have another headed your way for Feb 3rd.

Did you watch the video of the flood coming through Toowoomba?

That would be a scary place to be watching cars bobbing down the stream.

hardnox604008
Veteran Advisor

Hi Gough,

Off topic, but how do you keep hogs cool in those kind of temps?

Best, h

gough whitlam
Advisor

Mate, I have little micro sprinklers all through the sheds which are activated electronically at 20 minute intervals.  They get a 1 minute spray of fresh cool water and they do not have a clue it is hot outside.  Even the farrowing sows get it.  The whole system comes off one timer.  It is set to come on at 1 pm and off at 7 pm.

gough whitlam
Advisor

As I write this, there is a big sucker about to hit north queensland tonight.  Category 5 and building is the last report.  There will be vacant land up there this time tomorrow.  Planes have been shuttling thousands of people and kids away for two days.  This one is nasty.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Was just reading about that on my news page.  How far away are you from where this is going to hit??  Have never been in a hurricane but have seen enough coverage to know I wouldn't want to if I could help it.  Good luck to the people of Australia!

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

@gough whitlam wrote:

As I write this, there is a big sucker about to hit north queensland tonight.  Category 5 and building is the last report.  There will be vacant land up there this time tomorrow.  Planes have been shuttling thousands of people and kids away for two days.  This one is nasty.

Have not heard much here yet about how everyone fared.

Did hear a report that it had been downgraded to a category 2 and that would have been 6 hours or more after it came ashore.

Expect there will be more info about damage etc. by tomorrow morning.

Hopefully it missed the most populous areas but it was big enough that it will probably impact quite a large area.

Heard something about storm surge being or was forecast to be 7 metres above normal. WInds up to 250 km/hr? or was it 300.

Would not want a house by the sea for that.

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

Re: Yasi report

A quick google did find me more info.

No details on injury and damage yet as it may be too early.

Pretty well confirmed what I had remembered hearing on the radio.

Yasi hit shore as a Category 5 storm about 165 kilometers (103 miles) south of Cairns in Mission Beach, a resort town of about 3,000 people, battering Queensland state's coast with wind gusts of as much as 290 kilometers per hour, the Bureau of Meteorology said. The cyclone has been downgraded to Category 2 and continues to weaken, according to the bureau's website.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/02/02/bloomberg1376-LFZUCA1A1I4H01-2S22V2RQ1EV...
gough whitlam
Advisor

It is 2000 miles away from me but we are expecting a big rain on Saturday from the tail of it.  I live in the middle of New South Wales and it rarely floods  or anything much.   So far there has been no deaths reported from the cyclone but it flattened a lot of houses and banana trees. 90 per cent of Australian bananas are grown at a place called Tully and at the moment all the trees resemble muslims kneeling and bowing for prayer time.