cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Awkward, hard to report on story

Media really doesn’t know whether to sxxx or go blind over what is being revealed in the Toronto massacre story 

12 Replies
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: Awkward, hard to report on story

Curious to know what you meant by this post bruce?

Have heard some comments by people in US compared to those from Canada but will not reveal those now.

bruce MN
Advisor

I’m actually waiting for somebody in the mainstream press to mention the online movement he was immersed in.

There seems to either be so much relief over  or so much disappointment that he wasn’t a jihadist that the media is just letting it go.

bruce MN
Advisor

Found this.....But...

it’s the “failing NY Times”.  But maybe you’ll see fit to read it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/world/canada/incel-reddit-meaning-rebellion.html

I know, sadly too well, an unfortunate young gentleman who by his frequent ramblings regarding the topic make me suspect that he’s into this.  I wasn’t aware of the movement or most definitely the size and scope of it until this happened.

Tough for patriarchal institutions to address.

Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

You didn't care at all about any of the issues surrounding the fla. shooting.   You didn't care  that the police had many chances to arrest the guy for the crimes he was committing so that he could not pass the background check.  You didn't care that the authorities were warned that he was going to do it.  You didn't care that the police could have intervened while it was happening .  You didn't care that the person had a long history of violent mental illness that was never acted upon because of school policy (courtesy obama).  

All you cared about was that a gun was used.

Now a similarly mentally ill person uses a van and you need more details so you can find your angle.

bruce MN
Advisor

I wasn’t aware that all of the presumed was’s and wasn’t’s re Parkland had become so comprehensively chronicled.  Or that I or anyone else had shown the sort of indiffence of which you accuse. 

My my point is regarding the (hated) media and how they aren’t talking about this, as you say, mental deficiency.  It doesn’t fit the 5:30 or 10 PM checklist and on file narratives. Was simply pointing that out.  

r3020
Senior Advisor

That's because the killer used an assault weapon van instead of an assault weapon rifle. The reporting is always on the gun, nothing else matters.

bruce MN
Advisor

Those are technical points. Insensitive as that may sound. 

Once that is established “reporting” generally tends to jump directly and quickly to speculation over motives. Grossly absent in this matter. 

r3020
Senior Advisor

This mass killing is not important to the media. There was no gun.

bruce MN
Advisor