cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox604008
Advisor

Aye yi yi

Thre is no shame in wingerworld.

This weekend I had to listen to a guy who is a very well heeled farmer, in no small part owing to the fact that his well to do family got him a farm deferrment in WWII, going on about how terrible it was for Obama to turn "our veterans" away from the memorial.

But he is the guy who I've mentioned here before- he has a flag flying atop the leg at his huge grain storage setup.

17 Replies
Samnospam
Advisor

Re: Aye yi yi

The guy is about 90?
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

You must kind of feel that he has a point about Obama since you resort to demeaning his character? Something tells me if you're an Obama fan, it wouldn't matter if he had licked a entire platoon of Gerries, your feels towards him would be the same. As I understand it towards the end of the war they already had enough cannon fodder and farmers were seen as important.
jput
Senior Contributor

You are correct,  BA.    WW2 was won on the battlefields and seas and air space because US farms produced an abundance of food to feed soldiers  (ours and our allies) and enough fiber to put clothes on our soldiers,  and enough leather for their boots, etc.,   Our factory workers produced the greatest volume of arms,  ammo,  jeeps,  trucks,  tanks,  ships,  planes      Just because a flag waving American may not have fit in the military is no reflection of the dedication,  productivity and sacrifices made by those supplying the war effort.

oBozo spent more money attempting to block WW2 and Nam vets from visiting their OPEN AIR memorials than if he'd just left them be.  He is a cruel,  mean,  petty little man.

hardnox604008
Advisor

Swiftboaters.

Military service means whatever you want it to mean in furtherance of your political agenda.

hardnox604008
Advisor

And BTW, Bush did go AWOL

hardnox604008
Advisor

Fortunately the only slight injuries were from Chelly and Ted climbing over the old guys' wheelchairs in order to get in front of the tV cameras.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@hardnox604008 wrote:

Fortunately the only slight injuries were from Chelly and Ted climbing over the old guys' wheelchairs in order to get in front of the tV cameras.

You didn't answer the question, this man is near 90 years old and still farming? I would say the guy if full of grit and probably had some brothers serving during the war and he was chosen to stay home and help his dad farm the farm. Remember back then the corn was shucked by hand and the wheat was cut, shocked, and hauled to the threshing machine. The alfalfa was pitched onto a wagon and put in the mow by hand. The dad was probably incapable of running the place by himself. But since he supports the vets he is a piece of trash bagger wingnut terrorist.

hardnox604008
Advisor

No, actually draft deferrments for larger farms were pretty common.

As I said, it was legal, at least I don't have any specific knowledge of corruption in any specific draft board although I'm sure it happened.

Point being that patriotism, like religosity is cheap, particularly if you know that you and yours won't have to get killed, get otherwise messed up or have your lives severely disrupted.

And even better, you don't even have to pay for the wars- you just complain about the debt.

jput
Senior Contributor

Families typically had someone in the service,  be it a brother,  cousin,  nephew,  one of the sons,  etc.   Males age 17 to age 25 were either drafted or enlisted.    Farming was labor intensive at that time.   Getting a new tractor with most industries devoted to producing war machines was a long wait but farms were a very valued sector in wartime production.   (We can only wish to duplicate any such appreciation for farmers today,  but we're mostly taken for granted.   Food comes from supermarkets, you know.)  A lot of WW2 era farming was still done with horses until a tractor replaced them.   Farmers were given some priority in ration stamps but it didn't matter if you had the a ration stamp for a new tire,  if there weren't any tires to be had. 

Men were so scarce for farm labor,  that German POWs were put to work on the farms.   From their point of view,  hard farm work was preferable than being shot at and blown up.

knox,  did someone whiz in your corn flakes this morning,  you're pretty grouchy.