cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Been waiting for someone to write this

As a lifelong Christian, actually.

Any number of us have said this in essence over the years....about the silliness of little people of strong moral conviction being played (like a piano or Stradivarius) by the plutocrats and oligarchal and the cynical shoulder rubbers am,png the politicians and pundits who surround them.  But just dumb farmers, so who'd care about or believe that?:

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/17/libertarians_core_ethical_gap_why_their_alliance_with_christians_is_...

9 Replies
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Re: Been waiting for someone to write this

I don't think it is so much an alliance, as the article suggests, as much as it is when you compare the Libertarians with the other political parties, the mainstream parties aren't really any more for Christian values, than the Libertarians are.  I doubt it is as much that their values are negotiable, as much as they don't have true representation, so they have to pick the 'lesser of the evils'.

Of course, there are a certain percentage that is being played like a fiddle, but that goes with any party.

Samnospam
Advisor

there could only be one reason for the fairly new but growing more regular stream of libertarian hate coming from  the progressive press, the libertarians are gaining ground.  I remember when you were sympathetic to libertarians and people here said it was fake.  were they right?  

so you speak of the Christians being played like a piano, while posting a piece by a progressive trying to cozzy up with Christians.   progressives like yourself have spent years heaping derision on those Christians.  who does the guy think he is fooling?  

the libertarian message plays well with Christians because it is about free will, self determination, deciding for yourself what you wish to devote your life to, be it god, man, science, or selfishness. progressivism does not play well because it is about others deciding what and who you will serve.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

It is interesting that they would discriminate against a group of atheists that wished to set up a booth.

Where is the Libertarian thinking in that?

I was reading recently about charitable groups that refused donations from atheist groups.

Who would think that a charitable group would turn down donations?

Maybe the needs that they were set up for are not that great.

Bet they did not turn down donations from religious people who are criminals.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Here is a link to the story about atheist's donations to charities being rejected.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/in-season-of-giving-atheist-groups-charity-rebuffed/...

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well, there is no self respecting Libertarian that could be comfortable in today`s Democrat party, simply because of their anti-gun litmus test and their unforgivable shackling this country with socialized medicine.

I believe there has been a coming of the minds of freedom loving people shortly after the 2012 election.  The Libertarians have decided that things are serious enough that they will have to make an alliance...united we stand....and such.  On the Republican side, I can tell you firsthand that "gay marriage" is no longer mentioned by name, a candidate will quickly say "I`m pro-marriage!" whatever you want to make of that statement.   There are 3 hills that Republicans are willing to die on and they are #1 Gun freedom  #2 end 0bamacare  #3 local control of education.  Now, I don`t know but I don`t think that Libertarians are exactly scared off over the Republican position on those 3 issues.

I think Republicans feel as I`ve heard "there was a cultural war....and we lost" as far as gay marriage, if it really bothers someone just do the math, there are way less than 2% of the population that are gay and their orgy lifestyle isn`t condusive to being married....oh it`s a novelty for some, but that will quickly wear out when it`s discovered that`s "it`s alot harder to get unhitched than it is to fork out the $2 for a marriage license and get married"...bottomline there are many more serious problems facing this country and a hill that affects 1/10th of maybe 2% of the country isn`t worth dying on.

And look at the Republican rockstars, Rand Paul and Ted Cruz they are common ground between Libertarians and Republicans ...we are going to have to be brought to together or we will all hang separately, if there`s much more of this radical "progressiveness".

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Every person has the right to believe what they want but it is ironic that republican policy is based on religion and the persecution of those who do not belief.  That is not proper democracy. It might make you get a warm inner glow that your party is rejecting those filthy poofters and non believers but in the next breath you speak about the maintainence of freedom and liberty.

I hate to say it again but this does not add up.  You cannot have it both ways which would now indicate your vision and thinking is being clouded by your silly religion.  It is tantamount to heresy from the republicans to even contemplate it.  It probably says more about the thinking of the party as a whole rather than the forulating good policy which will attract the wavering voters.  The whole idea is absurd and with policy like that, another four years in opposition is what awaits you, not eternity in heaven for obeying the big guy upstairs.  

bruce MN
Advisor

Bull crap.  The breed of libertarians that are in play here have nothing to do with the principles of The Libertarian Party that has historically the identity of libertarianism in this country, with it's certain appeal to people of many walks of life and condition.  The Party that the Koch boys left, even after one of them had run for VP for the modern GOP, when they realized it WASN'T going to draw in the mass of Bible thumpers and mysoginists it would require to win elections and gain power. That defection to the GOP in turn transformed it spectacularly, essentially purging all of the old forms of conservatism and it;'s appeal.

Those libertarians have played a specific segment of Christians, fundamentalism rooted Evangelicals, as described above.  There are millions of Christians in this country who don't see and practice their faith in such a manner and you take great liberties in your accusation by lumping them (us) all together.

Sort of like generalizing Catholicism all up in a clump that would cover the deep personal inner feelings and views of two Catholcs as divergent as R3020 and Pope Francis. That doesn't work, doesn't fly and can't breathe.

What i see in the sort of hybrid for convenience pop liberatarianism that you cling to is channeling of those Austrian economists who simply weren't going to deal with the very stark fact that complex systems require external attention. Certain that  the vulnerabilities inherent in scale could always work themselves out. That on any given morning the ship had left at dusk yesterday, and those who weren't on it weren't by their own volition and out of their own inherent deficiencies.  Characters who instincitvely knew that if they had been born in just about any other bed, hut, tent or brush pile that they'd have been totally SOL and saw the need to keep that from all others.

bruce MN
Advisor

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

"Austrian" economists? What have they got to do with it? Talk about geographic and grammatically ignorant.