cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Bernie to tax workers

He wants you money, strain it though Almighty Big Government, and then give it back.

snip-

Sunday on ABC’s “This Week,” Democratic presidential candidate

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

16%

said his tax increases would “hit everybody” becuse he would raise the payroll tax to pay for paid family and medical leave.

Sanders said, “I think if you are looking about guaranteeing paid family and medical leave, which every other major country has so that when a mom gives birth she doesn’t have to go back to work in two weeks. Dad or mom can stay home with the kids. That will require a small increase in the payroll tax.”

Stephanopoulos said, “That’s going to hit everybody.”

Sanders agreed saying, “That would hit everybody, yeah, It would but it would mean we were drawing the rest of the industrialized world and make sure that when a mom has a baby she can in fact stay home with that baby for three months rather than go back to work at the end of one week. We are the only country, only major country that doesn’t guarantee paid family and medical leave. We do a lot of great things in this country but we are behind many other countries in protecting the middle class and working families.”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/10/18/sanders-would-raise-payroll-taxes-on-everyone-to-fund-paid...

29 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Bernie to tax workers

Don't new moms get 12 weeks maternity leave, already?   I guess it isn't by law required to be 'paid', but why should there be a law that requires people to be paid, for not working?

Veteran Advisor

A man gets paid sick leave so why can't a woman have time to get the new baby settled and routines established.  Plus she needs more recovery time than most illnesses.  Do you get a paid vacation if you work for someone else? If so, aren't you being paid for not working?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I hope you realize that many countries have that benefit already that allows 12 months paid leave or more.

In Canada it is covered with employment insurance and the lawa also says an employer has to keep the job for the parent when they return.

Note I said parent since in many cases the mother will take 6-9 months off and then go back to work while the father takes the rest of the time allowed to look after their little one.

It works and helps families considerably.

Also health care costs for the birth are minimal if anything because they are covered under our health plan. No premiumsto pay even.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Canada, the utopia of the world.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Would think you would support this ronnie. 

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I thought people like you wanted everyone to have skin in taxing system, well here we go they have skin in game

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

They are already guaranteed 12 weeks of leave, with no repurcussions.   I've never given birth, so I really can't comment on how reasonable that is, but that harkens back to the question, why should someone get paid for not working?   I always thought your pay should bear at least some reflection to the value you produce for your boss.  If you are producing zero, why should you get full pay?  
I've never had a paid vacation.   Any I have had, were unpaid, and for some reason I never felt slighted by not getting paid for not doing any work. Just how much does someone deserve to be paid, for not doing any work?   What is fair?   Is $10,000 enough, or not?   What is the magic number here?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I think that no matter where you are in the US, they have to keep their job after maternity.   However, is it really fair to pay people for not producing anything?   Now, if it is part of the benefit package that the employee has been paying into, they earned that right, but I don't know if I like someone just dictating how long one person has to pay another, for not doing any work.

I've heard of way too many cases of someone taking their paid maternity leave to go job hunting, and start a new job somewhere else, leaving their past employer to pay them for 3 months of not working, only to not have them come back.   I can mention at least two cases that I know of, where they worked for less than 6 months, then got 3 months paid leave, then quit.   Doesn't seem right for employers to have to do that (9 months of pay for 6 months of work - in addition to the sick days)

Now, in Canada, where it is a 'universal' thing, it might not be that way, but here it often is.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@wehav wrote:

Canada, the utopia of the world.

That is why so many of the most productive Canadian people move to the States every year. Smiley Wink