cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Bernie to tax workers

Done plenty of contract work, where 'this is the job, this is how much it pays', and as part of the crew, I got the base pay, and almost always some sort of proficiency bonus.   When the job was done, I often took some time off for R&R, but it was always after the job was done, and after I got paid.   I never got any extra pay, for not doing anything.   Anything 'extra' I got, was due to working more efficiently, doing a better grade of work, being ahead of schedule or under budget, that sort of thing.   I really can't say I ever got paid for not doing any work.

Senior Contributor

You have a point, no one who is self employed gets paid for not working, and I never did, when I worked construction, doing contract work.  I read farther up in this thread how some places mandate up to a year of paid leave for maternity.   I know someone who's wife had 5 kids in 5 1/2 years.  She worked for roughly 2 years before the first kid, then quit to be with the child/children.  I think her employer gave her maternity pay, even though she actually 'quit' (funny how some corporations aren't so 'evil' to good workers), but thinking about it, in theory at least, if she lived in the right place, she could have gotten around 7 years pay, for only 2 year's worth of work.   I wonder how that would pencil out for the productivity of the company where she worked?   I wonder if she would have been recieving raises during those 5 years of not working?

I have been called incompassionate, for not thinking these sorts of things are not good ideas, and I'd like to set the record straight:   I actually DO think long paid maternity leave is a good idea for the mother & child, but I also question the math behind whether or not it is a sustainable thing.   In fact, I think an awful lot of the liberal social programs start off with great intentions, and often even a good idea, but when reality hits, of how this gets paid for, and by whom, I can see that we aren't even sustaining the programs we have (financially) let alone being able to afford any more.

My new standard answer as to why I don't favor this or that new government program is now "when the debt is paid off, and there is a budget surplus, feel free to spend that surplus any way you want to, but once the surplus is gone, so is the extra spending".  Implement any program you want, within those parameters, and I'm with you.

Veteran Advisor

Hopefully you negotiated pay compensation for no benefits.  However, when people take a full time job with a company, there is an employment benefit package along with what is expected.  Even the military gives a month off from the gitgo.  The Postal service requires 15 years of service before you get 26 days of vacation a year.  You are allowed to accumulate about 400 hours before you start losing everything over that at the end of the year.  Almost every business I ever heard of gives at least one week of vacation from the start or after the probabtion period if they have one.  These are all paid vacations.  Start preaching about how strong you are and how weak liberals are on family values!  I could use a good laugh today!!

Senior Contributor

so now family values = government mandates?

I guess if one spent their whole life just being a cog in the wheel of government.....

Good little subject

Senior Contributor

@Husker-J wrote:

I have been called incompassionate, for not thinking these sorts of things are not good ideas, and I'd like to set the record straight:   .

Good luck with that here.

@Husker-J wrote:
I actually DO think long paid maternity leave is a good idea for the mother & child, but I also question the math behind whether or not it is a sustainable thing.   In fact, I think an awful lot of the liberal social programs start off with great intentions, and often even a good idea, but when reality hits, of how this gets paid for, and by whom, I can see that we aren't even sustaining the programs we have (financially) let alone being able to afford any more.

With ideals such as that, you must hate familiesSmiley Frustrated

Veteran Advisor

You are self-employeed and have to idea of how it is to apply for a fulltime job and discuss benefit packages which most employers have to offer in order to get the people they need.  Monetary compensation for hours worked isn't the only thing that constitutes this package in most cases.  Insurance, sick leave, vacation, company car, clothing allowance, etc are all things that many employers offer prospective employees.  Granted, working fulltime at a burger joint probably wouldn't have too many of those things but there would still be one or two think=gs thrown in other than the money.

Veteran Advisor

Re: so now family values = government mandates?

I see you are only for family values when it is voluntary and to the devil with those who are against any involvement of the govt.

Senior Contributor

Re: so now family values = government mandates?

@schnurrbart wrote:

I see you are only for family values when it is voluntary and to the devil with those who are against any involvement of the govt.

I don't want to be a subject. You may if you like. I won't force my values on you.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

You are comparing apples to kumquats.

Every non-governmental employer I know of, offers so much paid vacation, in response to so many hours/days worked.   The 12 weeks (or up to 12 months in some cases) of paid leave I am talking about, has no connection to amount of work performed.

I'm not saying at all it is a bad thing, I just wonder why the goverment should be mandating how much an employer should be paying someone for not working,.  Again, what is a fair amount?  Is $10,000 enough, or should it be more?   Less?   I notice the strongest supporters of this sort of thing, don't ever seem to be anyone who has had workers on payroll.

Senior Contributor

guess so  Smiley Mad  

Especially the families who worked hard to get ahead, only to have much of it taken away, a bunch of it wasted, and the rest given to someone who didn't work.   And I also think there is a big difference between someone who can't work, and WON'T work.