cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Bernie to tax workers

I never had paid vacations till I worked for a steel erection company. After 1 year you got 1 week. After 3 years you got 2 weeks. After 5 you got 3 weeks. The only time I used it all was when I got married. I normally took the money instead. Oh! And our birthday was a paid day off...or just extra $.

For us self employed people, shouldn't the government pay for our days off? Seems that would be fair.Smiley Wink

My wife now gets 4 weeks in a use it or loose it. Plus 10 holidays. Plus 2 personal days paid. Plus medical leave over 3 days paid. Plus family funerals days paid.

All that used to be a perk. Seems it's now a right.Smiley Surprised...........Smiley Mad

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@Husker-J wrote:

They are already guaranteed 12 weeks of leave, with no repurcussions.   I've never given birth, so I really can't comment on how reasonable that is, but that harkens back to the question, why should someone get paid for not working?   I always thought your pay should bear at least some reflection to the value you produce for your boss.  If you are producing zero, why should you get full pay?  
I've never had a paid vacation.   Any I have had, were unpaid, and for some reason I never felt slighted by not getting paid for not doing any work. Just how much does someone deserve to be paid, for not doing any work?   What is fair?   Is $10,000 enough, or not?   What is the magic number here?

There is only one reason.........to get their vote.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I guess you have always worked for yourself.  That would be the only way you have never had a paid vacation!

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

If you do get a repub president this time around, you should hope and wish and pray that he NEVER does ANYTHING to help people.  I will be all over you for him buying votes!  That is just about the most asinine statement you have ever made AND there have been MANY.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

And here all along I thought y'all were the "family values" party!!!

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Wrong!  That was true in the 90s but not any more.  Unless you mean all the smart ones have already left!

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Husker-J wrote:

They are already guaranteed 12 weeks of leave, with no repurcussions.   I've never given birth, so I really can't comment on how reasonable that is, but that harkens back to the question, why should someone get paid for not working?   I always thought your pay should bear at least some reflection to the value you produce for your boss.  If you are producing zero, why should you get full pay?  
I've never had a paid vacation.   Any I have had, were unpaid, and for some reason I never felt slighted by not getting paid for not doing any work. Just how much does someone deserve to be paid, for not doing any work?   What is fair?   Is $10,000 enough, or not?   What is the magic number here?

But they are producing something, new citizens for youe country.

Paid vacations are legislated here and I think it also says you have to be out of the work place for at least 7 days solid, you can not take your holidays a day here and a day there except those in excess of the 7 day period.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@wehav wrote:

Canada, the utopia of the world.

Maybe or maybe not but we are close

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Husker-J wrote:

I think that no matter where you are in the US, they have to keep their job after maternity.   However, is it really fair to pay people for not producing anything?   Now, if it is part of the benefit package that the employee has been paying into, they earned that right, but I don't know if I like someone just dictating how long one person has to pay another, for not doing any work.

I've heard of way too many cases of someone taking their paid maternity leave to go job hunting, and start a new job somewhere else, leaving their past employer to pay them for 3 months of not working, only to not have them come back.   I can mention at least two cases that I know of, where they worked for less than 6 months, then got 3 months paid leave, then quit.   Doesn't seem right for employers to have to do that (9 months of pay for 6 months of work - in addition to the sick days)

Now, in Canada, where it is a 'universal' thing, it might not be that way, but here it often is.

In Canada it is part of the employment insurance which is a requirement for all employers and employees to be in.

It is overseen by the government but is supposed to be self funded.

I know of cases where the employer uses the opportunity of a pregnancy leave to see how the person hired to fill the vacancy works as a preview for hiring them.

Since it is a position hired on an understanding of it being a certain term then there is no repercussions at the end of the term if they do not want to retain them but may offer them a full time job if they like them so both sides may be able to use it too their advantage.

BTW any leave less than 9 months would not be advised for the best of the child since breast feeding is recommended for the first 9 months at least for the best start to a childs health.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^) wrote:

@wehav wrote:

Canada, the utopia of the world.

That is why so many of the most productive Canadian people move to the States every year. Smiley Wink

You mean like Justin Bieber?