cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Bigger corn shipments

Part of the reason my corn price has held up even though there was a record big corn yield in Ontario last year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/grain-shipments-hamilton-port-ontario-grown-corn-1.4786798

Tetreault said the export market has found that Ontario is a reliable source.

"There's no trade dispute really ongoing with any other country that we've been shipping to," he said.

"They just seem to be kind of coming back and hitting the market again just because they know that there was that extra tonnage sitting there in Ontario and the quality is good, the price is good and they didn't have to worry about any trade disputes ongoing." 

13 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Bigger corn shipments

You are sometimes pretty funny.

Canada produces 421 million bushels of corn. Iowa alone produces over 2.7 BILLION bushels of corn.  We spill more corn than you raise, not somebody that's I'd count on as a reliable supplier.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Actually we produce tonnes of corn and use machinery to move it rather than those old bushels AND more exports from Ontario improves my price. Probably why I am getting more for my corn today than I got last year AND had a record high yield to move too.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Why then, are you not praising Donald Trump for your perceived good fortune?

Answer: You enjoy making political hay out of your buck brush. 

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Tonnes or bushels, you're a supplier of last resort.  Nothing I said has changed, we spill more corn than you grow.

And it's important to remember, Americans went to the moon while the rest of the world uses metric.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Americans went to the moon while the rest of the world uses metric.

So that reminds me of the quote....

'the truth has no chance against a lie if the person wants to believe the lie'

Check out what measurement system NASA uses in reality.

BTW international sales of grain are conducted in tonnes not 56 or 60 or 48  lb units

Do you know of any livestock person using 56 or 60  or 48 lb units to make feed?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Canada.............world farm utopia...........If we could all be so lucky.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

world farm utopia

By 'utopia' if you mean farming without needing subsidies then for sure you are correct.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Hav are you proud of how much you spill? I’ve seen fields a few weeks after harvest that looked thicker with corn plants than what was plant in the spring!! Lots of farmers need to tighten up their pickers!!
Highlighted
Advisor

the adults in the room

aka our Ag trade experts, believe that permanent damage has been done to the US position in world markets regardless where we go from here.

Farmers for Trump generally didn't believe he'd actually do anything but have hung with him anyway for the most part.

The thing that I did get wrong was in not imagining that they could find an obscure 1930s reg that let them make a pre-election Stormy Daniels Hush Money Payoff* without having to get it through a congress that is badly divided (by the Freedom Caucus, primarily) on Ag matters.

*not true that they'll have to sign an NDA swearing that they didn't give David Dennison a #### ###.

You may say that honor is a thing of the past but these guys know how to stay bought.