cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Bill Nye, Ken Ham evolution debate

Anytime Ham didn't know the answer to something, he'd say "There's a book out there that has all the answers..." It was so annoying because it was all circular arguments and genetic fallacies.

The only reason Ken Ham agreed to this debate was to bring people to the museum. It's never made money and the bonds require interest payments.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Advisor

Pat Robertson on Ham

http://www.christianpost.com/news/pat-robertson-to-ken-ham-lets-be-real-lets-not-make-a-joke-of-ours...

SNIP:

"I know that people will probably try to lynch me when I say this," Robertson said in 2012. "You go back in time, you've got radiocarbon dating. You got all these things, and you've got the carcasses of dinosaurs frozen in time out in the Dakotas," they're out there. So, there was a time when these giant reptiles were on the Earth, and it was before the time of the Bible. So, don't try and cover it up and make like everything was 6,000 years. That's not the Bible. And so if you fight revealed science you're going to lose your children, and I believe in telling them the way it was."

Honored Advisor

I actually agree with your 2 pictures Canuck.  Let me put it this way, neither Nye or Ham articulate our different positions very well.  Nye has come to the wrong conclusion with the right evidence.  Ham has come up with the correct answer with very flimsy conclusions.

I should say Nye is saying alot of correct scientific points, but when boxed in a corner weasles out saying "it`s a mystery".   Conclusions are a "mystery" on both sides.  At least Ham`s version of Christanity he admits the "mystery".  On Nye`s side, that`s fine if a scientist also has "mysteries" however they need to realize that their mysteries are no better than the Christian`s mysteries.

Veteran Advisor

Manned flight was a mystery until somebody figured out how to do it.

Just because we don't know the explanation doesn't mean there isn't an explanation.

After all, the scientific process could be merely our way of understanding God's creation.

Let's just hope we don't destroy it in the meantime.

Senior Advisor

First BA, you should know that science is a work in progress. What we know is supported by research and analysis but there are things we  do not know yet.  You expect all knowing evidence from the scientic community but largely accept facts based only on faith.

I assure you that Bill Nye does not know everything but he does know a lot and will learn a great deal more given the time to continue his work. All you need to do to refute Bill Nye is to bring the evidence based on fact. Faith or your belief is not profound or compelling.

Senior Advisor

Here's some science for ya. The climate cahnged. The climate changed back. Thank God for the climate.

snip-

Ice continued to build this past week on the Great Lakes due to the cold air and temperatures staying below freezing, and Lake Superior's new record shows it.

The lake is 92 percent frozen, toppling a 20-year-old record of 91 percent set on Feb. 5, 1994. That statistic helped total Great Lakes ice cover soar, and we can expect to see more form in coming days.

The air temperatures this past week averaged around five degrees below normal for the Great Lakes area. This amount of deviation from normal means it was a fairly cold week.

As of February 5, 2014, the entire Great Lakes system is now reportedly covered 77 percent with ice, according to the Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory.  Last week at this time the ice cover was 66 percent.  The 77 percent ice cover now still lags behind 1994, when the entire Great Lakes system had an average ice cover of 84 percent on February 5.  This data is according to Jia Wang, physical oceanographer at the Great Lakes Environmental Research Center in Ann Arbor, MI

http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2014/02/great_lakes_added_11_percent_i.html

Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

I actually agree with your 2 pictures Canuck.  Let me put it this way, neither Nye or Ham articulate our different positions very well.  Nye has come to the wrong conclusion with the right evidence.  Ham has come up with the correct answer with very flimsy conclusions.

I should say Nye is saying alot of correct scientific points, but when boxed in a corner weasles out saying "it`s a mystery".   Conclusions are a "mystery" on both sides.  At least Ham`s version of Christanity he admits the "mystery".  On Nye`s side, that`s fine if a scientist also has "mysteries" however they need to realize that their mysteries are no better than the Christian`s mysteries.

So in your mind the answer comes first and then you look for the evidence?

Senior Contributor

Don I think BA's post shows how he 'thinks'

He admits that Nye had the evidence but did not come to the same conclussion that BA wanted and Ham came to the conclussion BA wanted but did not have the evidence.

It is a sure thing that BA would not make a good scientist.

scientists have to ask the question and then accept what the answer is even when they did not expect or want that answer.

Senior Contributor

You are amazing BA, you actually said one of the most intellegent things you have ever said, "Here`s the thing, evolution is actually defined as "living things change," but then you digressed away from being intellegent.....oh well.