cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcneafm05
Friend

Biodiesel, Incentives and how I approached the Representative

This is how I recently approached a representative in Pennsylvania.  If you want biodiesel incentives such as tax credits to return, I encourage you to do the same.

Dear Representative Carney,

I come from a crop and dairy farm in Bradford County.  I am currently attending graduate school out in California as a renewable energy engineer.  I have continuously seen how the Golden State is outpacing the Keystone State in renewable energy and sustainability.  Granted, California is the nation’s leader in the field of renewable energy and sustainability, but I did not expect to see them so far ahead when it came to agriculture.  Pennsylvania is a state that takes great pride in its robust agricultural industry.  I, and many of the farmers in my community, believe that the next step in keeping this ag industry thriving is to grow and generate our own local fuel, electricity, and food. 

A tax incentive for biodiesel grown, processed, and consumed on the farm is very important for keeping the renewable energy and sustainability movement alive in our state.  This incentive will allow more pilot farms get up and running with biodiesel operations and help serve as proof to the farming community that renewable energy is at their fingertips and a very practical and environmentally responsible choice for their land and crops.

Farmers roll out of bed early each morning and head out to the farm not because they expect to get rich, or because they thoroughly enjoy getting kicked by cows or getting covered head to toe in grease and dirt; they head to the barn because they know their hard work produces the milk and crops that feed America.  Although farmers already have this immense responsibility of feeding the nation, I believe that they would embrace the additional goal of providing at least part of the nation’s fuel as biodiesel.  This biodiesel, although essentially the same as the conventional diesel they currently put in their trucks and tractors, would be very different in the eyes of a farmer.  Biodiesel, in the form of soybeans, canola, or whatever crop, would grow on the land before them, and each drop of oil pressed out would vindicate the farmer’s season long input of sweat, blood, and time.  This fuel would have roots and even memories in the farmer’s local community, and not be simply an expensive trucked-in fossil blend from the Middle East or elsewhere. 

I ask for any help you can provide in establishing a tax credit, or any other incentive for biodiesel.  Such support will encourage Pennsylvanian farmers to grow, process, and take pride in the fuel that burns on their farm.  Pennsylvania is poised to again serve as the Keystone State in the new battle for energy independence, it just needs a little help from a representative like you.

Sincerely,

Fred Mcneal

McNeal Farms