cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Blago vs Illinois

No, he didn't. But, if they get to live for free in the Governor's mansion, or get the state(taxpayers) to foot the bill for his personal residence, is it really an issue what color of sheets are on his kids' bed, or when and where they were at when he tucked them in??????

He exploited the option to stay at his own home, for personal gain. From the upgrades made to his home that he enjoys the benefit of now, to the mortgage payments that were made either directly or indirectly, he came out ahead in the long run, which was his intent.

Veteran Advisor

Well, somebody is wrong about dates and times. I did not only a general search, but through archives also, and every article comes back from July, 2010. I didn't remember ever hearing about it, and apparently I was correct because the Tribune or Herald doesn't have anything going back to before the trial. The remark was made by Robert Greenlee, his Deputy Governor, that just might have maybe cooperated with the prosecution to AVOID prosecution.

Frequent Contributor

According to sister:  Blago had a Chicago (governor's) office that he spent little time in.

According to Springfield radio:  the holdout juror was a retired director of public health, and a staunch Democrat who  had told friends for weeks she would not convict Blagojevich.   I believe Fox News Chicago was given as  the source for the "not convict" comment, not sure if that was the source for both of them.

If Blagojevich  gave the "daughter's bedtime"  excuse for not living in Springfield  (state capital), when it was because he wanted to take advantage of   (possible) financial perks of having the office in his home (which I don't think  was his "official" office, but seems to be where he spent most of his time),, then he lied, plain and simple.

Does Bernard Schoenburg  have his articles  published in the Tribune or the  Herald?

Veteran Advisor

LOL, Greenlee was coached and his words were scripted by the prosecutor's team, as any good trial lawyer only asks the question he knows the answer to. Put simply, they knew that he(Greenlee) would say those things, that's why they asked the questions (prompted him) that they did to him.

What a coincidence, a Fox "News" station had a inside "source" and that "it was a democrat" that was the lone(allegedly) holdout. Yea, ANOTHER, UNNAMED SOURCE that originated from Fox, who-da thunk it????

Your focus on whether or not he "lied" about seeing his daughters every night, is quite laughable. Do you really think that his daughters WOULDN'T live in the Governor's mansion with him and his wife?????? Of course he wanted to see his kids every day/night, just like every parent does. You calling him a liar about that is similar to me saying that you wouldn't want to see your kids every day/night. Not only is it immaterial, you have absolutely no way to prove or disprove it.

He just wanted to extract a little more mula from the taxpayers is what it boils down to. It's similar to a city/county official getting reimbursed a high rate for their personal vehicle, and they buy a $40,000 something vehicle, because the length of their term ensures that their vehicle will be paid for with the reimbursement, as opposed to driving a fleet car that resembles an unmarked squad car. I just saw that exact scam work recently, and the politico is driving a brand new high-dollar truck that will be paid for by his reimbursement. It's supposed to be cheaper than them driving a government vehicle, but the numbers and info don't support that claim.

Schoenburg is a political editor, and I don't remember seeing his name in either newspaper, but that doesn't mean he hasn't provided an article. The Tribune and Herald get their news stories from the various press services that their own reporters don't cover, and he's a local political beat/opinion hack that they don't reference, they have their own. 

Senior Contributor

"The sad part was he was just being a politician, as he wanted to exploit any and every opportunity."

I would say the sad part is the lone juror and you seem to give people like Blago a pass because they were just doing what all politicians do.  After listening to the tapes do you really believe he was not trying to sell Obama's Senate seat?

Sounds like the judge will start the new trial very soon and maybe as early as next week.

Veteran Advisor

LOL, that pesky "democrat" (supposedly) that Fox keeps referring to but can't quite seem to name or interview directly, sure keeps you right wingers ticked off.

The tapes, and not the snippets that you refer to, point to him trying to exploit the seat, not outright "sell for cash" like you imply. So, he was found guilty of one 1 of 24 counts, and somehow it was a "rigged jury". Gee, where have we heard that before from the right wing?????????????

Senior Contributor

Is this a case of  just what the meaning of exploit is a la Bill Clinton and the meaning of the word "is?" 

I'll ask you again.  After listening to the tapes do you really believe he was not trying to sell Obama's Senate seat or "exploit" it for personal gain?   You repeatedly try to defend Blago's actions yet a jury of people from your state came down 10 to 1 believing that Blago was guilty and several of them hope there is a new trial as they believe he was guilty of trying to sell the Senate seat.  I'm betting if Blago was a Repub you would be singing a different tune.  I myself have little sympathy for corrupt politicians no matter which party they call home. 

I understand Dems not wanting another trial with elections coming up as Repubs would feel the same if they were the ones involved.  I saw Blago on the Today Show this morning and he mentioned Rahm Emanuel being involved in the discussions over the senate replacement.  Blago also used the excuse that he was just doing what politicians do when they make "deals" and mentioned how Obama nominated Utah Congressman Matheson's brother to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit as a way to win over the Congressman to back Obama's health care reform plan.  I'm not suggesting Obama or Emanuel did anything wrong as I'm not convinced of it but this is the type of stuff that makes Dems not want to see another trial take place.  Same goes with the Rangel and Waters upcoming case.  Their is never a good time to air ones dirty laundry but it is always worse right before an election and especially when voters are already giving politicians low approval numbers. 

One note on the trial I see where they reported the judge's instructions to the jury were around 130 pages long.  Not sure what a prosecutor can do to simply that for jurors to help make their job easier.   I would think in a new trial the prosecutor would try to stream line and simplify things for the jury and even drop some of the charges that had little support from the first jury.

Senior Advisor

In defense of the juror. she heard the evidence and if the prosecution could not prove the case, you or I would not find him guilty either. There was no money or favors that changed hands. No evidence that any corruption occured.  

Have you ever been on a jury and voted with the majority just to get along? Why would you assume this individual is wrong? Perhaps the rest are wrong. Or should we decide cases on a simple majority?

Veteran Advisor

I'm trying to defend him now???????? The whole thing was a joke, and the three-ring circus has been crammed  into every news media non-stop here. I couldn't care less either way, I just made a few casual bets on the outcome considering the way the whole thing was being played out at the time. With Chicago having such a large part of the overall population, they sway the vote overall into the blue category. He's out of office because of the intentions of his rivals, plain and simple.

The jury was deadlocked on 23 counts, and nobody other than the jurors knows who were the holdouts. It drives you right wingers batty that he wasn't found guilty, and yes I think he was trying to exploit the position for some favors to be paid back at some point in the future. Heck, he had the power to appoint someone to the seat, and did, and he was just trying to appoint someone that would do something for him, just as any politician would, and has time and again. If that's not the case, how come republicans don't appoint democrats to empty seats?????????

130 pages of "instructions" might as well be 500, as the jury can disregard all of it, and even all the charges if they so choose, because they have that right with their power, but it's not well known.

Frequent Contributor

His wife and daughters were not going to live in Springfield.  Whenever he was in Springfield, he went home every night at taxpayer's expense.  He didn't want to live in Springfield where he would be more available to actually do some work.

Read your own posts.  You say he wanted his office in his home  because "he just wanted to extract a little more mula from the taxpayers".   The excuse Blago gave was he wanted to be home for his daughter's bedtime.  If he wanted to extract more mula from taxpayers and gave the daughter's bedtime excuse instead, he lied.

Schoenberg is the columnist my sister referred to,  if you don't read his articles, you won't know whether he spoke of Blago hiding in the bathroom or not (before the trial).  Springfield is the state capital, it should  cover Illlinois politics a little more than Chicago papers.

You may not be so smug if the publicity of the next trial costs the dems in November.  It may costly  for the incumbents of both parties.