cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Blago vs Illinois

Wow, Clinton lied about a BJ, and Bush lied about a war, but somehow you left out that part.

Do you feel the same about Bush not getting ANY slap on the hand???

Senior Contributor

Boy you guys sure hate it when Ted's name is ever brought up but you guys never have trouble bad mouthing Reagan and other past or deceased Repubs.  Seem like you guys prefer a double standard.  Ted by the way is an excellent example of someone that you have stick your head in the sand to defend what he did.  Even liberal Bill Maher said what Ted did at Chapaquidick was inexcusable and there is no way people should defend his actions there. 

It appears you have not noticed but I have repeatedly acknowledged there are bad apples in the Repub party as well as in the Dem party.  I think the two parties are pretty equal when it come to corruption but that the party in power tends to get caught more often with the hand in the cookie jar for obvious reasons I've explained before..  You are the one who thinks only Repubs are corrupt and have even said so when it comes to your home state which is one of the leaders when it comes to top states with corruption problems.  I would love to hear you explain how the 7 corrupt Dems listed on the site mention previously are not corrupt.  I also like how you complain about Repubs saying that at least their guys are not as bad as Dems when it is you that has done it repeatedly in this one thread suggesting that corrupt Dems are not as bad as Repubs.

Now you are accusing me of saying you were stupid and just being politically ideological for voting for Blago.  Again you feel the need to lie and misrepresent what I have said.  I have no problem with you or anyone else voting for Blago.  What I don't like is for Repubs and Dems alike to defend politicians in their party after they have been caught doing wrong which you are doing with Blago.   By the way you have already lost your bet since Blago was already convicted on one count and I'm betting he will end up getting convicted on a few more but no where near the original 20 plus charges brought against him.   I would not be surprised after all of Blago's blustering about how he will fight these charges he ends up making a deal where he pleads guilty to a couple more charges in order to risk another trial and being convicted on more serious charges. 

It would be interesting to know just what his new legal team advises him to do as far as trying to make any type of deal.

Veteran Advisor

Who's the liar??????? Point out where I EVER defended Kennedy's actions. I not only believe in the rule of law and justice, but that justice is blind. Not the Lindsey Lohan style of law, the type of law that would have had a jury decide whether his actions were accidental or not, that led to a woman's death. But it's funny that you use Reagen for your example, considering that he and his administration defied Congress's orders, and peddled guns and drugs to finance their actions, and when they were caught, he ordered the stop of the investigation, or pardoned the few who were tried. OOPS, you forgot about that.

I notice that you conveniently ignored all the factual history that I showed you, and in the process you tried to smear me personally. The topic was Blago and IL. Governors, not every scumbag democrat that pops into that pea-brain of yours.

I'll ask you again.  After listening to the tapes do you really believe he was not trying to sell Obama's Senate seat or "exploit" it for personal gain?

I'd say that sounds as though you are implying that you "listened to the tapes". How, on Fox "News"???????

Here's the lone juror's words about her decision, and why. For you right wingers that claimed she was probably a democrat, when she was a state employee from 1990-2000, she was hired during the period that Jim Thompson was Governor, and had to be a registered republican to get hired, and only worked during republican control of the Governor position.

Blagojevich trial holdout juror breaks her silence

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100827/ap_on_re_us/us_blagojevich_trial_holdout_juror

In the Tribune interview, Chiakulas said she decided the prosecution had simply not proven its case, and that she had a responsibility to follow her conscience. She said she did not believe Blagojevich committed a crime with regards to Obama's vacated Senate seat, but stressed that she did not necessarily find him innocent.

She called him "narcissistic" and said she had ignored his many media appearances, which she called "his shenanigans."

Chiakulas said she also became concerned because some key witnesses against Blagojevich had cut deals with prosecutors before testifying.

"Some people in (the jury room) only saw black and white," Chiakulas said. "I think I saw, in the transcripts and in the testimony, shades of gray. To me, that means reasonable doubt."

Senior Contributor

Once again you feel the need to use personal insults as if that helps you feel you are superior and to win a debate.  I'm guessing your school teachers had their fair share of trouble with you playing well with others.

It was you that brought up Ted Kennedy with your comment, "LOL, at least you didn't dig up ole Teddy Kennedy again, they finally got the grass to grow on his grave from the last time that you dug him up."   To which I replied, "Boy you guys sure hate it when Ted's name is ever brought up but you guys never have trouble bad mouthing Reagan and other past or deceased Repubs.  Seem like you guys prefer a double standard."   Then as if to prove my point you again complain about Reagan.  

I have no problem with folks complaining about past politicians even if they are deceased.  I think politicians and their actions are fair game but think their families should normally be off limits.

I also never meant to imply you defended Ted's actions at Chappaquidick when I said, "Ted by the way is an excellent example of someone that you have stick your head in the sand to defend what he did.  Even liberal Bill Maher said what Ted did at Chapaquidick was inexcusable and there is no way people should defend his actions there."  The word "you" was meant to apply to anyone including oneself and I apologize for any confusion caused by my wording.  I only posted that after you brought up Ted. 

"I notice that you conveniently ignored all the factual history that I showed you, and in the process you tried to smear me personally. The topic was Blago and IL. Governors, not every scumbag democrat that pops into that pea-brain of yours."

If you read and comprehend what I said as opposed to just shooting from the hip you would notice I have repeatedly acknowledged there have been and will continue to be corrupt Repubs including some in your state.  It is you that believes all the corrupt politicians are from only one particular party.

I have not jumped to any conclusions on the lone hold out juror or claimed she must be a Dem but see you have.  "She was a state employee from 1900-2000, she was hired during the period that Jim Thompson was Governor, and had to be a registered republican to get hired."

I don't watch FOX but was able to hear the audio tapes on several other stations including NBC.

I'm not trying to smear you but simply pointing out where I disagree and exposing your apparent hypocrisy and double standards.

I'm still waiting to see your "Independent" concerns where you complain about individual Dems for their corrupt or illegal actions.   One would think an intelligent fair minded Dem or Repub could recognize a corrupt politician no matter what their party affiliation but would think an "Independent" voter such as yourself could easily make such a distinction.   However you have repeatedly shown us you can only recognize the bad apples in the Repub party.  That fault of yours which is shared by many from both parties helps allow the bad apples to stay in power as opposed to being forced or voted out.  While that may help your choosen party retain more seats it is harmful to country as a whole. 

One thing I am growing more curious about you Tom as time goes by.   If you are such a major contractor in the construction field as you claim you are then how do you find so much time to post on this site during working hours?   Even the small contractors that I know would never take so much time from their working day to chat on a computer site unrelated to their work.  

Veteran Advisor

You're something else. You have repeatedly tried to deny factual history, you've tried to change the subject many times, and when neither of those things worked, you called me a liar among other things, and now you don't just call me a crappy contractor, you say that I'm not even one at all.

I called you out for the die-hard right winger that you are, and by your obvious responses you didn't like it. But maybe I could be like you and "farm" the government for a living, while also working an outside job because you're not too good at it.

Here's an idea, maybe your son could throw me some work doing re-roofs, or teach me how to build a pole barn. LOL

FYI: the bets that I made about this whole fiasco was that Blago will never spend a day behind bars for anything.

Senior Advisor

Dag, just go beat your head against the wall, be a lot less painful and much more intelligent conversation.

Senior Contributor

"I bet 5 different people a case of beer that he'd never be dealt a conviction and spend a day behind bars."

You've already lost on the first part and it remains to be seen on the second part.

I must admit to being confused by some of your wild claims.  Please explain where I have denied factual history and be specific with out the weird inuendos not based on fact such your latest one that I have called you crappy contractor.  Re-read my post and show me where I said you were not a contractor or that you were a crappy contractor.

"If you are such a major contractor in the construction field as you claim you are then how do you find so much time to post on this site during working hours?   Even the small contractors that I know would never take so much time from their working day to chat on a computer site unrelated to their work."

Time to put up or shut up as your continued lying or false claims (which ever you prefer) are getting very old.  

I would still like to see a list of Dems that you have criticized on this site.   Seems strange an Independent that follows politics as closely as you only complains about Repubs while always defends Repubs exposed in the press for wrong doing. 

I post about 75% of days but will often miss several days in a row during planting or harvest season.   I only farm around 1000 acres and no longer have any livestock.  My off farm job goes in spurts so I have a fair amount of free time during parts of the year.  Your posts seem to indicate that you never have a busy season or you are a contractor that has others handle many of the jobs one typically assumes is handled by the contractor. 

My son just went to work for a new contractor and his first week there his new boss was having him figuring estimates and making out material lists for the lumber yard.  This is new for my son and he seems to enjoy the new responsiblities. 

Senior Advisor

Poor little blondie needs some dittoheads to cheer him on. Can't you just get over it?

Veteran Advisor

Actually, I haven't touched any tools since this Spring when myself and a few other guys built a wheelchair ramp for one of employees that was hurt in a car wreck. In the past, I tried to find jobs/do bids, do the work, and collect payment for it, and there just wasn't enough hours in the day. So, when I decided to go out on my own again, I didn't want to have to deal with bidding, employees and collecting money all over again, and wanted to increase our amount of properties, and I felt the market was going to slow or stop with building. I would find and buy houses, remodel them and rent them out. I actually fell into the deal I have, as the investment group that is my client was competing against me for buying properties. I remodeled some for them and one thing led to another. Now, they are wanting to really ramp up the buying, and that wasn't really my goal or focus. I bid a few commercial jobs just because I could and got them, as I really didn't want to do it, but I couldn't pass it up. The two houses that I've got going now are for people that are in that investment group.

In the winter, the snow removal alone is almost overwhelming. I don't advertise or even aggressively bid work either. But, I spend all week in an office, either entering stuff into my homemade spreadsheets for cost comparisons, creating materials lists/negotiating prices, or actually doing drawings for approval by the building department. I've never made better money not using my tools. Most of my bids and proposals are done on the internet anyway, because of the use of standardized forms and such. Now that my son is back in school, he can only work afternoons and weekends again, so I'm usually stuck here too, to keep pushing him or just for safety.

If the investment group changes directions, or even ends our relationship, I'll downsize and only be stuck with some pickup trucks and excess tools. The business that they throw my way is great, but it was never my focus, acquiring properties and our current properties and taking care of them was. While maintenance is minimal, it does run in spurts.

Senior Contributor

I didn't really expect you to be running all the tools and doing all the manual labor.  I figured you would stay fairly busy driving to and from job sites and various businesses used in your line of work, handling the necessary permits and paper work, communicating with owners and other contractors such as electrical and plumbing, figuring estimates, making out supplies and material lists and over seeing personal and pay roll. 

Thanks for your reply as I find it interesting what is all involved in other's occupations.  Did you come from a farming back ground?  Curious how you happened upon a farm oriented chat site?

I see you have one thing in common with many of the contractors around here in northern Iowa, snow removal as a winter job.  I'm guessing last winter would have kept you fairly busy just with snow removal.